The Indian Trade Service (ITS) is a Group ‘A’ central service that prospective candidates can get into on clearing the UPSC civil services examination. ITS service was started in 1977. Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) handles the Indian Trade Service (ITS). Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) comes under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The main mandate of the ITS is to take care of India’s foreign trade and commerce.
This article will help IAS exam aspirants to understand the designation, payscale, role and responsibilities associated, and the career opportunities expected in the Indian Trade Service (ITS).
Indian Trade Service (ITS) – Functions
- Implementing the provisions of the Foreign Trade (Development and Regulation) Act, 1992; Safeguard Measures (Quantitative Restrictions) Rules, 2012; Foreign Trade Policy (FTP), 2009-2014; Handbook of Procedure, Volume-I, 2009-2014; ITC (HS) Classification of Export and Import Items, 2012; and Handbook of Procedure, Volume-II (Standard).
- Formulating policy in international trade.
- Promoting exports.
- Implementing trade policy.
- Negotiating international trade deals and commercial diplomacy.
- The officers can also be sent on deputation to work in other ministries and departments and also to international organisations like World Bank, ADB, UN organisations, etc.
Indian Trade Service (ITS) – Grade, Designation, Salary
Indian Trade Service (ITS) offers an attractive salary and ladder of growth for its cadres. Candidates interested in the field of trade and commerce must opt for this Service.
The below table gives information on the salary associated with various designations in ITS
|Junior Time Scale||Assistant Director-General of Foreign Trade||Rs.15,600-39100
Grade Pay Rs.5400
|Senior Time Scale||Deputy Director-General of Foreign Trade/ Under Secretary||Rs.15,600-39,100
Grade Pay Rs.6600
|Junior Administrative Grade||Joint Director General of Foreign Trade/ Deputy Secretary||Rs.15,600-39,100
Grade Pay Rs.7600
|Selection Grade||Joint Director General of Foreign Trade/ Director||Rs.37,400-67,000
Grade Pay Rs.8700
|Senior Administrative Grade||Additional Director General of Foreign Trade/ Development Commissioner, Special Economic Zone/ Trade Advisor||Rs.37,400-67,000
Grade Pay Rs.10,000
|Higher Administrative Grade||Director-General of Foreign Trade/ Senior Development Commissioner, Special Economic Zone||67000-3%-79000|
To know more about other Civil Services, visit the link UPSC Posts
Indian Trade Service (ITS) – Training of Probationers
The ITS officers’ training takes place in two stages:
- Foundation Course Training – at any of the national academies including LBSNAA.
- Probationary Professional Training at the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), New Delhi for 8-9 months.
Career Options in Indian Trade Service (ITS)
- Under the Ministry of Trade and Commerce, the ITS cadre officers start with the role of Under Secretary, later they get promoted to Deputy, Joint and Additional Secretary Levels.
- ITS cadre officers also get the opportunity to serve on deputation with foreign missions, WTO and UN.
- Indian Trade Service (ITS) cadre officers get the opportunity to serve at Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industries (FICCI).
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2020 in setting up their goals.