The Indian Postal Service is one of the Group ‘A’l Civil Services of India. They are responsible for running ‘India Post’, the largest postal network in the world which provides services ranging from traditional postal services to banking and e-commerce services. It also provides non-commercial services such as disbursal of old-age pensions and MGNREGA wages. The IPoS cadre officers are the higher grade officers of the post office hierarchy in India. The cadre controlling authority for this service is the Ministry of Communications, Government of India. This article will provide information on the Indian Postal Service grade, pay scale and career growth.
To know more about UPSC Civil Service Examination, go to the link IAS exam.
Indian Postal Service (IPoS) – Functions
- Monitoring and management of divisional postal services
- Overall administration of Mail and Post offices in a division
- Optimization and expansion planning of the postal network inside a division
- Management of technology, finances and materials.
- Marketing of India Post services and products such as Banking and Insurance
- Handling Public Grievance Redressal System and customer relations
- Coordinating with other government agencies such as Police, District Administration etc.
- Management of personnel in the division.
IPoS officers enjoy the same perks and facilities as other officers from ‘Group A’ Services of the Indian Government; such as government accommodation, concessional medical facilities etc. They are also eligible for deputation to other services and can proceed on study leaves funded by the government.
IPoS is considered to have the best promotional prospects among the Group ‘A’ Services. UPSC candidates can join the service by indicating their preference for it and securing the requisite rank in the IAS exam.
Indian Postal Service (IPoS) – Grades and Pay Scales
Recruitment in Indian Postal Service (IPoS) will be conducted through the UPSC 2019 Civil Services Examination. The UPSC candidates selected for the IPoS start their career as SSPO(Senior Superintendent of Post Office) or SSRM (Senior Superintendent of Railway Mail Services). IPoS officers are also selected through promotion from ‘Group B’ officers of India Post. They can rise up to the position of the Director-General of Post Offices.
Below table gives the rank and pay structure of the Indian Postal Service (IPoS)
|Director-General of Post Offices||Rs.225000|
|Member Postal Services Board||Rs.205400|
|Chief Postmaster General||Rs.144200|
|Director of Postal Services||Rs. 78800|
|Assistant Director/Assistant Postmaster General||Rs. 67700|
The postal services consist of 22 circles for various states and a Base circle for postal services to the armed forces. Each circle is headed by a Chief Postmaster General. The officers in the Base circle are considered to be on Army postal Service Deputation. Circles are divided into regions headed by a Postmaster General.
To know more about other Civil Services, visit the link UPSC Posts
Indian Postal Service – Training of Probationers
Indian Postal Service training is conducted in two stages as listed below:
- Stage 1: Foundation Course at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration(LBSNAA), Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy(SVPNA), National Academy of Direct Taxes based on the recommendations of the Department of Personnel and Training.
- Stage 2: Professional training in management and administration of postal services Rafi Ahmed Kidwai National Postal Academy(RAKNPA).
Indian Postal Service – Career Prospects
Indian Postal Service Cadre Officers (IPoS) don different roles, which are given below.
- In Junior roles, IPoS cadre officers may work as Senior Superintendent of Post Offices.
- The IPoS cadre officers could also serve as Superintendent of Railway Mail Service.
- IPoS cadre officers serve as Director-General of Posts,
- IPoS cadre officers could be the head of post offices as Postmaster General.
- If they are posted in the field, they would serve in the position of Chief Postmaster and Additional Postmaster General.
- IPoS cadre officers could also serve as Chairman of Postal Services Board.
- At the senior level, IPoS cadre officers could serve as Secretary to the Government of India.
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2020 in setting up their goals.