The results for Quacquarelli Symonds’ (QS) World University Rankings 2022 were released on June 8, 2021. A total of 1,300 Universities from around the world were featured in this 18th edition of annual ranking and QS released that it was their largest rankings ever.
Three of India’s Institutes have also achieved a position in the top 200 Universities across the world. However, the tally of Indian Institutes has remained the same for the fifth straight year. The country’s Universities that have ranked the highest are:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay – 177th Rank
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi – 185th Rank
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore – 186th Rank
To know about other important Global Indices & India’s Ranking in 2021, candidates can visit the linked article.
In this article, we shall discuss the overall and subject-wise positions of the top Institutes as per the QS World University Ranking 2022. This is an important topic for all candidates preparing for the upcoming government and IAS Exam.
Also, refer to the links given below:
|PISA – Programme for International Student Assessment 2021||National Education Policy (NEP 2020)|
|Digital Education in India||India’s Report on Digital Education|
|Global Teacher Prize 2020||University Grants Commission (UGC)|
About Quacquarelli Symonds & World University Rankings
Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) is a leading global career and education network and develops and successfully implements methods of comparative data collection and analysis used to highlight institutions’ strengths.
The QS World University Rankings are annually released and comprise an overall and subject-wise analysis of global institutes which is achieved by evaluating six metrics:
- Academic Reputation
- Employer Reputation
- Faculty/Student Ratio
- Citations per faculty
- International Faculty Ratio
- International Student Ratio
Discussed further below are the key findings as per the 2022 rankings.
Aspirants can visit the linked article and know about the Institutes of National Importance in India, a recognition accorded to eminent institutes in the country by the Central Government.
QS World University Ranking 2022 – Key Findings
- For the 10th consecutive year, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has topped the list of best universities in the world as per QS
- The table given below shows the top 10 Universities for the World Universities 2022 Rankings:
|Top 10 Universities – World University Ranking 2022 [Overall]|
|Rank||Name of the University||Overall Scores||Location|
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||100||Cambridge, United States|
|2||University of Oxford||99.5||Oxford, United Kingdom|
|3*||Stanford University||98.7||Stanford, United States|
|3*||University of Cambridge||98.7||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|5||Harvard University||98||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|6||California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||97.4||Pasadena, United States|
|7||Imperial College London||97.3||London, United Kingdom|
|8*||ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology||95.4||Zürich, Switzerland|
|8*||University College London (UCL)||95.4||London, United Kingdom|
|10||University of Chicago||94.5||Chicago, United States|
- The table given below displays the scores and names of the top 5 Universities in Asia as per the rankings of 2022:
|Top 10 Universities – World University Ranking 2022 [In Asia]|
|Rank||Name of the University||Overall Scores||Location|
|11||National University of Singapore (NUS)||93.9||Singapore|
|12||Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU)||90.6||Singapore|
|17||Tsinghua University||89||Beijing, China|
|18||Peking University||88.8||Beijing, China|
|22||The University of Hong Kong||86.3||Hong Kong|
- The rankings were released for Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, North America and Oceania
|Kickstart your IAS Exam preparation now and complement it with the links given below:|
India’s Performance in 2022 World University Rankings
- In comparison to the World University Rankings 2021, where 21 Institutes had ranking within 1000, this year 22 Indian institutions were in the top 1,000 list
- Seventeen of India’s 35 universities have seen a rise in their Citations per Faculty (CPF) score, against only 12 drops in CPF
- No Indian university ranks among the top 250 for faculty-student ratio
- Given below are the top 10 Indian Universities as per their performance evaluated based on the six metrics:
|Top 10 Universities – World University Ranking 2022 [In India]|
|Rank||Name of the University||Overall Scores|
|177||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay||46.4|
|185||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi||45.9|
|186||Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore||45.7|
|255||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras||38.1|
|277||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur||36.4|
|280||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur||36.3|
|395||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati||28.3|
|400||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee||28|
|501-510||University of Delhi, New Delhi||—|
|561-570||Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi||—|
- The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), for the first time made it to the list of top 1000 Universities
- IISc, Bangalore was declared the world’s top research university by the indicator of most citations per faculty member
Know about the challenges with the Indian Education System and the initiatives taken by the Government for its improvement and enhancement, at the linked article.
Aspirants looking forward to applying for the upcoming civil services exam can visit the UPSC Syllabus page and get the detailed subject-wise syllabus for the prelims and mains exam.
For the latest exam updates, study material and preparation tips, visit BYJU’S.