July 26th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Kargil Vijay Diwas 2. Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme 3. Draft Indian Ports Bill, 2021 4. RoPax and Water taxi services in Coastal states 5. National River Conservation Plan (NRCP) 6. Gharib Nawaz Employment Scheme 7. MyGov 8. Kandla becomes first Green SEZ
The Kargil War with Pakistan was declared officially over on 26 July 1999.
Know more about the Kargil War in This Day in History dated July 26.
Government promoting the use of ethanol produced from sugarcane and food grains under EBP Programme.
- Government of India through Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) is implementing the Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme, wherein ethanol is being blended in petrol to achieve the objectives of reducing import dependence, promoting clean fuel and providing a boost to agriculture.
Read more about the Ethanol Blended Petrol Programme in the linked article.
In the course of new legislation, the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways had circulated the draft Indian Ports Bill 2020 for seeking inputs from all stakeholders.
For more on the Bill, please check PIB dated Dec 11, 2020.
The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways under the Sagarmala programme has undertaken Ro-Ro/Ro-Pax projects across several routes.
- Ro-Pax is a roll-on-roll-off cum passenger ferry service launched by the Shipping Ministry.
- It is a water transport service project.
- It enhances connectivity between centres and also aids in reducing pollution associated with road transport.
- Water transport services such as these are economical and more green in comparison to the road/rail transport. It is a cheaper alternative for people and also is more time-saving as it can reduce the journey time by more than half.
- It has a substantial impact on the logistics of small-scale industries of the region.
Also read: Sagarmala Programme
About the National River Conservation Plan (NRCP):
- It is a centrally sponsored scheme under the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It commenced in 1985 with the Ganga Action Plan (GAP).
- It was enlarged in 1995 as the National River Conservation Plan (NRCP) to include other major rivers of the country.
- The objective of NRCP is to reduce the pollution load in rivers through implementation of various pollution abatement works, thereby improving their water quality.
- The implementation of the scheme is overseen by NRCD (National River Conservation Directorate).
- The National River Conservation Authority (NRCA) chaired by the Prime Minister provides the policy framework and oversees the implementation of NRCP.
- Initially, the funding pattern was 100% funded by the Centre, but from 2015, it is shared between the Centre and the states on a 50:50 basis.
- The pollution abatement works taken up under the NRCP include:
- Interception, diversion & treatment of sewage
- Some non-core schemes also implemented:
- Construction of crematoria
- Construction of low cost sanitation
- River front development
- Public participation & awareness
The Union Minister for Jal Shakti mentioned the National River Conservation Plan Scheme in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
The Ministry of Minority Affairs is implementing the Gharib Nawaz Employment Scheme.
About the Gharib Nawaz Employment Scheme:
- The scheme was launched by the Ministry of Minority Affairs in 2017-18 so that short term job oriented skill development courses may be provided to youth from minority communities in order to enable them for skill based employment.
- This scheme is implemented as per common norms of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSD&E) through the empanelled Program Implementation Agencies (PIAs).
- The scheme is implemented by the Maulana Azad Education Foundation, an autonomous body under the aegis of the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
- Under this scheme, ‘Garib Nawaz’ skill development centres are run for the purpose of developing skills among the minority youth.
MyGov celebrates its 7th anniversary.
- MyGov, the citizen engagement platform, completed 7 years.
- It was launched in 2014 with the idea of bringing the Government closer to the common man using the online platform, creating an interface for healthy exchange of ideas and views involving the common citizen and experts with the goal to contribute to the social and economic transformation of India.
- MyGov has evolved into a robust citizen engagement platform that is being leveraged by almost all the Government departments for enabling participatory governance.
- Today, it has more than 185 lakh registered users on MyGov platform – MyGovSaathis, who actively engage with MyGov and give their ideas and suggestions on various policy issues and also take part in Pledges, Quizzes and contests.
Also read: #FOSS4GOV Innovation Challenge
Kandla SEZ (KASEZ) was awarded IGBC Platinum Rating.
- KASEZ is the First Green SEZ to achieve the IGBC Green Cities Platinum Rating for Existing Cities.
About IGBC Green Cities (Existing Cities):
- IGBC Green Cities (Existing Cities) rating system is a voluntary and consensus-based programme.
- IGBC Green Cities rating system is the first of its kind rating in India to address environmental sustainability in existing cities.
- The rating system shall enable the municipalities, municipal corporations, development authorities and developers to formulate green policy interventions and implement green initiatives at the city scale, so as to reduce environmental impacts that are measurable and improve the overall quality of life.
- The Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) was formed in the year 2001.
- The vision of the council is, “To enable a sustainable built environment for all and facilitate India to be one of the global leaders in the sustainable built environment by 2025”.
- The council is committee-based, member-driven and consensus-focused.
About the Kandla Special Economic Zone:
- Kandla Special Economic Zone (KASEZ), earlier known as the Kandla Free Trade Zone, is located at the port town Gandhidham in the state of Gujarat.
- The Kandla Special Economic Zone (KASEZ) is the first in Asia and the largest multi-product Special Economic Zone in India.
Read previous PIB here.
July 26th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here