UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Women Safety Division in Ministry of Home Affairs
With the objective of addressing the issues of women safety in a comprehensive manner, the Ministry of Home Affairs has created a women safety division. All the issues relating to women safety would be dealt with by this division in coordination with the relevant departments and ministries of the state government.
The roles and responsibilities of the Division are:
- To Strengthen investigation and forensic set up in States/ UTs
- Training and skill development of investigators
- Creation of National Registry of Sexual Offenders
- National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal
- National Forensic Labs
The following subjects would be dealt with in the new Division:
- Crimes against women, SCs & STs
- Crimes against children, elderly persons: Anti-trafficking Cell
- Matters relating to Prison legislation and Prison Reforms
- All schemes under NIRBHAYA fund
- Crime and Criminal Tracking & Network System (CCTNS)
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)
The offences against women, especially rape would be addressed in a holistic and a time-bound manner, focus would be laid on enhancing the capacity of the investigative, prosecution and judicial machinery. Measures would be taken for rehabilitation of victims, attitudinal changes in the society. The division would also take measures prevent crimes against the SCs and STs. Issues like sensitization of children through appropriate changes in school curriculum, a media campaign for raising awareness, checking proliferation of pornography materials and online contents etc. will also be addressed. Measures would be taken to bring about reforms to improve the policies and practices, for addressing issues such as overcrowded prisons etc. Proper functioning of the prison oversight mechanism would be given priority. The division shall ensure effective implementation of the schemes under the NIRBHAYA fund.
This move by the Home Ministry would result in giving a credible response to emerging situation of crimes against women, especially minor girls and focus on the time-bound implementation of measures with a tangible impact on women safety.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.