Post-2012, Nirbhaya Gang rape case, a dedicated fund was set up in 2013 with the focus on implementing the initiatives aimed at improving the security and safety of women in India. The fund was called “Nirbhaya Fund”, Nirbhaya meaning fearless, the pseudonym given to the gang-rape victim to conceal her identity.
Aspirants would find this article very helpful while preparing for the IAS Exam.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
The government’s contribution towards the non-lapsable corpus fund was Rs. 1000 crores.
- Department of Economic Affairs under the Ministry of Finance is responsible for the administration of the fund. While the ministry of Women and Child Development is the nodal ministry involved in appraising, reviewing, and monitoring the progress of those schemes sanctioned under the Nirbhaya Fund.
Nirbhaya Fund – 3 Schemes
Considering the need to have a schematic intervention and a complete mechanism for providing support to the women in distress, three schemes are being implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development under the Nirbhaya Fund.
Keeping in mind the need to have schematic interventions and proper mechanism for handholding of women in distress, 3 schemes have been implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development
- ‘One Stop Centre’
- ‘Universalisation of Women Helpline’
- ‘Mahila Police Volunteer’
Schemes being implemented by the Ministry of Home Affairs are as follows:
- Emergency Response Support System
- Central Victim Compensation Fund
A Parliamentary Standing Committee in 2016 had questioned the Ministry of Women and Child Development over the sluggish implementation of schemes under the Nirbhaya fund. A report by the Centre for Development and Human Rights (CDHR) stated that lengthy inter-ministerial coordination for project approval had created problems in the implementation of Nirbhaya fund schemes.
As per data released by the Home Ministry, various projects under different ministries have not even used half the funds allocated to them. Nirbhaya Fund is one such fund and the under-utilization or no utilization of Nirbhaya fund has now come under the radar of the Supreme Court. The apex court has asked the states to reveal the amount they’ve received under the Nirbhaya Fund and to apprise the court of how the money has been disbursed to victims of sexual assault.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.
Multiple Choice Question (MCQ)
Consider the Following Statements
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is the nodal ministry involved in appraising, reviewing, and monitoring the progress of those schemes sanctioned under the Nirbhaya Fund.
- ‘Universalisation of Women Helpline’ is a scheme implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Central Victim Compensation Fund is a scheme implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Nirbhaya Fund was set up in 2010 with the focus on implementing the initiatives aimed at improving the security and safety of children in India.
Which of the following statements are true?
A) 1 and 2 alone are true
B) All the 4 statements are true.
C) All the 4 statements are false.
D) Only 3 and 4 are true.
The above details would help candidates prepare for UPSC 2020.