NCERT Book Solutions Class 6 Social and Political Life – I Chapter 2
India is well known for its diversity of people who speak different languages, living together as a community. What distinguishes India from other diverse nations is its unity that has stayed despite various conflicts that exist in society. People from different caste, creed, religion, gender live together. However, do they all get equal rights? Do they get discriminated against? Do stereotypes affect communal harmony? Find out further about Diversity and Discrimination from Chapter 2 of CBSE Class 6 Civics. We also provide here NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Civics Chapter 2 “Diversity and Discrimination” that cover the solutions for the exercises given in the book “Social and Political Life”.
Students can download the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Civics PDF below.
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Civics (Social and Political Life) Chapter 2 Diversity and Discrimination:- Download PDF Here
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Civics Chapter 2- “Diversity and Discrimination”
The solutions for chapter 2, Diversity and Discrimination are given below. Students should also check NCERT Solutions for Class 6 for other subjects.
Questions Page No 23
1.Match the following statements in a way that challenges the stereotypes
|a. Two surgeons were sitting down to lunch when one of them made a call on the mobile phone||1.suffers from chronic asthma|
|b.The boy who won the drawing competition went to the dias||2.to become an astronaut which she did|
|c. One of the fastest athletes in the world||3.to speak with her daughter who had just returned from school|
|d.She was not that well-off but had a dream||4.on a wheelchair to collect his prize|
|a. Two surgeons were sitting down to lunch when one of them made a call on the mobile phone||to speak with her daughter who had just returned from school|
|b.The boy who won the drawing competition went to the dias||on a wheelchair to collect his prize|
|c. One of the fastest athletes in the world||suffers from chronic asthma|
|d.She was not that well-off but had a dream||to become an astronaut which she did|
2.How can the stereotype that girls are a burden on their parents affect the life of a daughter? Imagine this situation and list at least five different effects that this stereotype can have on the way daughters get treated in the house.
The 5 different negative effects are mentioned below
- They don’t receive proper love and care from the family.
- They discontinue their education hence their dreams and goals are unfulfilled
- They don’t get adequate diet
- They are asked to do all household works
- They are not allowed to go out and make new friends
3.What does the constitution say with regard to equality? Why do you think it is important for all people to be equal?
Our Constitution says
- Everyone has equal rights and opportunities
- All are equal to compete for Government jobs
- People can choose any kind of work they wish to do
- Untouchability is a crime and is legally abolished.
4.Sometimes people make prejudiced comments in our presence. We are often not in a position to do anything about this because it is difficult to say something right then and there. Divide the class into groups and each group discuss what they could do in one of the following situations.
- A friend teases classmate because he is poor.
- You are watching tv with your family and one of them makes a prejudicial comment about a particular religious community.
- Children in your class refuse to share their food with a particular person because they think she is dirty.
- Someone tells you a joke that makes fun of a community because of their accent.
- Some boys make remarks about girls not being able to play games as well as them.
Discuss in class what the different groups have suggested for the above situations, and also talk about the problems that can come up when raising the issue.
Students have to solve this question through class activity.
Diversity and Discrimination Summary
The NCERT Class 6 Social and Political Life Chapter 2 talks about the following topics:
- Differences and Prejudices
- Creating stereotypes
- Inequality and Discrimination
- On being discriminated against – the caste system
- Striving for equality
‘Social and Political Life’ is an important chapter for Class 6 Social Sciences subject. Apart from this chapter, the full set of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science is given in the linked article.