NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Our Pasts – I Chapter 11
This chapter talks about advancements in the field of metallurgy, the skills required in building stupas, temples and the various books written in the past. At the end of the chapter, students will find questions related to these topics. The exercise consists of a total of 8 questions, out of which 1 is fill in the blank, 1 is match the following type question and remaining are descriptive ones. In NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History Chapter 11 “Buildings, Paintings and Books”, we have provided the answers to all the questions. Students must go through these solutions to understand a better way of representing the answer in the exam.
Students can download the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History PDF below.
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History (Our Pasts-I) Chapter 11 “Buildings, Paintings and Books”:- Download PDF Here
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 11- Buildings, Paintings, and Books”
The solutions for chapter 11, Buildings, Paintings and Books are given below. Students should also check NCERT Solutions for Class 6 for other subjects.
1.Match the following
|Lords of the dakshinapatha||Buddacharita|
|Xuan Zhang||Cholas, Cheras and Pandyas|
|Muvendar||Cholas, Cheras and Pandyas|
|Lords of the dakshinapatha||Satavahana rulers|
|Xuan Zhang||Chinese pilgrim|
2. Why did kings want to control the Silk Route?
- They could collect taxes, an additional source of revenue for kings
- Gifts and tributes were given by traders to the kings
3. What kinds of evidence do historians use to find out about trade and trade routes?
They found evidence through multiple sources.
- Through the literature of the concerned period
- Ancient coins
- Pottery, bowls, plates
4. What were the main features of Bhakti
- Bhakti became a central feature of Hinduism.
- Deities were worshipped through bhakti
- Bhakti is generally understood as a person’s devotion to his or her chosen deity
- Anybody whether rich or poor, belonging to the so-called ‘high’ or ‘low’ castes, man or woman, could follow the path of bhakti.
- This path emphasised devotion and individual worship of a god or goddesses rather than the performance of elaborate sacrifices.
- As per this system, if a devotee worships the chosen deity with a pure heart, the deity will appear in the form in which he or she may desire. So the deity could be thought of as a human being, lion, tree, or any other form. Once this idea gained acceptance, artists made beautiful images of these deities.
5. Discuss the reasons why the Chinese pilgrims came to India.
They came to visit places associated with the life of Buddha as well as famous monasteries. They spent time studying in Nalanda.
6. Why do you think ordinary people were attracted to Bhakti?
Because anyone irrespective of gender, economic status, caste status could follow this path. Hence it attracted ordinary people.
7. List five things that you buy from the market. Which of these are made in the city/village in which you live, and which are brought by traders from other areas?
This is an activity that needs to be carried out by students.
8. There are several major pilgrimages performed by people in India today. Find out about any one of them, and write a short description. (Hint: who can go on the pilgrimage — men, women or children? How long does it take? How do people travel? What do they take with them? What do they do when they reach the holy place? Do they bring anything back with them?)
This is an activity that needs to be carried out by students. There are plenty of pilgrimage centres, students can choose one from their own experience.
Buildings, Paintings and Books Summary
The NCERT Class 6 History Our Pasts-I Chapter 11 talks about the following topics:
- Iron Pillar
- Buildings in Brick and Stone
- How were Stupas and Temples Built
- The world of books
- Recording and preserving old stories
- Stories told by ordinary people
- Writing books on science
History – Our Pasts-I is an important book for Class 6 Social Science subject. Apart from this chapter, the full set of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science is given in the linked article.