NCERT Book Solutions Class 6 Our Pasts – I Chapter 4
In this chapter, students will learn about the Vedas, Megaliths and the Inamgaon. The exercise contains 2 questions under the ‘let’s recall’, 2 questions under ‘let’s discuss’ and 3 questions under ‘let’s do’ section. In the NCERT Solutions Class 6 History Chapter 4 “What Books and Burials Tell Us”, we have provided the answers to let’s recall and let’s discuss section. Questions under let’s do section are for students as an extra activity and project, so that they can research further on the topic.
Students can download the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History PDF below.
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History (Our Pasts-I) Chapter 4 What Books and Burials Tell Us:- Download PDF Here
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 4- “What Books and Burials Tell Us”
The solutions for chapter 4, In the Earliest Cities are given below. Students should also check NCERT Solutions for Class 6 for other subjects.
Exercise Questions Page No 44
1. Match the columns
|Dasa||Used in battles|
|Chariots||Used in battles|
2. Complete the sentences
(a) Slaves were used for —– work——–
(b) Megaliths are found in —–South India, Kashmir, North East———–
(c) Stone circles or boulders on the surface were used to —-point out the exact place of burial——–
(d) Port-holes were used for —–burying other members of the same family at the same place——-
(e) People at Inamgaon ate —–peas, pulses, rice, barley, sesame ——-
3. In what ways are the books we read today different from the Rigveda?
The books we use are written and printed. Rigveda was recited and heard rather than read. It was written down several centuries after it was first composed and printed less than 200 years ago.
4. What kind of evidence from burials do archaeologists use to find out whether there were social differences amongst those who were buried?
Archaeologists found that in some burials, skeletons found were buried with lots. The number of pots buried was more if the person had higher social status.
5. In what ways do you think that the life of a raja was different from that of a dasa or dasi?
Raja had the highest social status, whereas dasa or dasi had the lowest social status. The latter were treated like slaves. They were captured from wars.
What Books and Burials Tell Us Summary
The NCERT Class 6 History Our Pasts-I Chapter 4 talks about the following topics:
- One of the oldest books in the world
- How Historians study the Rigveda
- Cattle, Horses and Chariots
- Words to describe people
- Silent sentinels – the story of the megaliths
- Finding out about social differences
- Were some burial spots meant for certain families
- A special burial at Inamgaon
- Occupations at Inamgaon
To get the answers of the History, Geography, Civics subject of class 6 go through the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science.