NCERT Book Solutions Class 6 Our Pasts – I Chapter 3
This chapter discusses the Harappa and Mohenjodaro civilisation and their location, people and advancements. NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History Chapter 3 “In the Earliest Cities”, contains the answers to the exercise questions. These answers are created by subject experts and cover all the important details to help students score more marks. Studying these solutions will clarify the topics discussed in this chapter.
Students can download the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History PDF from the link provided below.
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 3 – “In the Earliest Cities”
The solutions for Chapter 3, In the Earliest Cities are given below. Students should also check NCERT Solutions for Class 6 for other subjects.
Exercise Questions Page No 34
1. How do archaeologists know that cloth was used in the Harappan civilization?
Actual pieces of cloth were found attached to the lid of a silver vase and some copper objects at Mohenjodaro. Archaeologists have also found spindle whorls made of terracotta and faience. These were used to spin thread.
2. Match the columns
|Precious Stones||Gujarat, Afghanistan|
3. Why were metals, writing, the wheel and the plough important for the Harappans?
Metals – used for making tools, ornaments, vessels, weapons
Writing – for communication purposes
Wheel – for pottery and for making carts used for travelling
Plough – used for farming purposes
4. Make a list of all the terracotta toys shown in the lesson. Which do you think children would have enjoyed playing with the most?
- Toy Plough
- Toy Cart
- Many Terracota toys in the shape of different animals
5. Make a list of what the Harappans ate and put a tick mark against the things you eat today.
We can find a list of 9 different items.
6. Do you think that the life of farmers and herders who supplied food to the Harappan cities was different from that of the farmers and herders you read about in Chapter 2? Give reasons for your answer.
Irrigation – Earlier farmers and herders did not have access to irrigation facilities, unlike their later counterparts.
Storage – Earlier farmers used clay pots and baskets for storage purposes, whereas later-stage farmers had well-built granaries.
Tools – Earlier farmers did not have wooden tools like ploughs that could be used for tilling the land.
In the Earliest Cities Summary
The NCERT Class 6 History Our Pasts-I Chapter 3 talks about the following topics:
- The story of Harappa
- Houses, drains and streets of Harappa
- Life in the city of Harappa
- In search of raw materials
- Food for people in the cities
- A closer look at Harappan towns in Gujarat
- The mystery of the end
Students can also check the full set of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science to prepare effectively for the Social Science exam.
Frequently Asked Questions on NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History Chapter 3
What are the topics discussed in Chapter 3 of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History?
The story of Harappa
Houses, drains and streets of Harappa
Life in the city of Harappa
In search of raw materials
Food for people in the cities
A closer look at Harappan towns in Gujarat
The mystery of the end