NCERT Book Solutions Class 6 Our Pasts – I Chapter 1
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History Chapter 1 “What, Where, How and When” contains solutions for the exercises given in the History book. This chapter begins with a doubt that arises in the mind of Rasheeda, while she goes through a newspaper. This chapter will systematically help solving her query by understanding how people lived in the past, where they lived, the names of the land, the insights we get from the old manuscripts and inscriptions and the signs and symbols used by people who lived in the past.
Students can download the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History PDF below.
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History (Our Pasts – I) Chapter 1 What, Where How and When:- Download PDF Here
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 1 – What, Where, How and When
The solutions for chapter 1, How, When and Where are given below. You should also check NCERT Solutions for Class 6 for other subjects.
You have to interview an archaeologist. Prepare a list of five questions that you would like to ask her/him.
1. What is Archaeology?
2. What does an Archaeologist do?
3. What is the process involved in excavation?
4. How does Archaeologist determine the age of any of the objects discovered from excavations?
5. Why are symbols important in the field of Archaeology?
1.Match the following
|Narmada Valley||The first big kingdom|
|Magadha||Hunting and gathering|
|Garo Hills||Cities about 2500 years ago|
|Indus and its tributaries||Early agriculture|
|Ganga valley||The first cities|
|Narmada Valley||Hunting and gathering|
|Magadha||The first big kingdom|
|Garo Hills||Early agriculture|
|Indus and its tributaries||The first cities|
|Ganga valley||Cities about 2500 years ago|
2.List one major difference between manuscripts and inscriptions.
|Manuscripts – They were written by hand, these were usually written on palm leaves or on the specially prepared bark of a tree known as The Birch, which grows in the Himalayas.||Inscriptions – These are writings engraved on relatively hard surfaces such as stone or metal.|
3. Return to Rasheeda’s question. Can you think of some answers to it?
When Rasheeda was reading the newspaper, her eyes fell on a small headline: “One Hundred Years ago.” How, she wondered, could anyone know what had happened so many years ago?
One can think of 4 different ways
- Tools and weapons
- Reading the books written in the past.
4. Make a list of all objects that archaeologists may find. Which of these could be made of stone?
The findings of Archaeologists could be of 9 different types.
1. Buildings made of stone and brick
The objects that could be made up of stones are given below
5. Why do you think ordinary men and women did not generally keep records of what they did?
Unlike the present day, record keeping was not easy in the past. Records were usually maintained by Kings to describe their victories in battles. Those records were maintained by inscribing on stones, which were not an easy task that could be carried out by ordinary men and women.
6. Describe at least 2 ways in which you think the lives of kings would have been different from those of farmers.
1. Kings had absolute power over all his subjects, irrespective of their profession, farmers had no such powers.
2. Kings lived in palaces. Farmers had no such opportunities.
3. The King was responsible for protecting his kingdom by waging battles, whereas the farmers’ responsibilities were to grow crops.
What, Where, How and When Summary
The NCERT Class 6 History Our Pasts-I Chapter 1 talks about the following topics:
- How people lived in the past, where they lived in the past?
- Names of lands
- Manuscripts and Inscriptions
- Understanding on dates – BC, CE
History – Our Pasts-I is an important book for Class 6 Social Science subject. Apart from this chapter, the full set of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science is given in the linked article.