CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 English for both Core and Elective is prescribed by the CBSE board, which contains all the important information about the course structure and distribution of marks for each section. Students always ignore the language subjects and focus more on the core subjects while preparing for the exams. But the language subjects also carry equal weightage like any other subject. English of CBSE Class 12 is a scoring subject that will help students uplift their overall percentage if they prepare accordingly. English is divided into two parts English Core and English Elective for CBSE Class 12 board students.
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 English 2023-24
Students can download the latest released CBSE Class 12 Syllabus PDF of English from the link below. The syllabus will help students know the topics they will study in English during the academic year.
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 English Core 2023-24
Section A: Reading Comprehension through Unseen Passage
- One unseen passage to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis and inference. Vocabulary assessment will also be assessed via inference. The passage may be factual, descriptive or literary.
- One unseen case-based factual passage with verbal/visual inputs like statistical data, charts etc., to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis, inference and evaluation.
Note: The combined word limit for both passages will be 700-750 words.
Multiple Choice Questions / Objective Type Questions and Short Answer type Questions (to be answered in 40-50 words) will be asked.
Section B: Creative Writing Skills:
- Notice, up to 50 words – 4 Marks
- FFormal/Informal Invitation and Reply, up to 50 words – 4 Marks
- Letters based on verbal/visual input, to be answered in approximately 120-150 words – 5 Marks
- Article/ Report Writing, descriptive and analytical in nature, based on verbal inputs, to be answered in 120-150 words – 5 Marks.
Section C: Literature Text Book and Supplementary Reading Text
This section will have a variety of assessment items, including Multiple Choice Questions, Objective Type Questions, Short Answer Type Questions and Long Answer Type Questions to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis, evaluation and extrapolation beyond the text.
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 English Elective 2023-24
Section A: Reading Comprehension – 20 Marks
This section will have two unseen passages and a poem.
- Applied Grammar – 8 Marks
- Creative Writing – 20 Marks
This section will have a variety of assessment items, including Multiple Choice Questions, Objective Type Questions, Short Answer Type Questions and Long Answer Type Questions to assess comprehension, analysis, interpretation and extrapolation beyond the text.
- Textbook – 22 Marks
- Fiction – 10 Marks
Seminar – 20 Marks
Access interactive lessons and videos related to Maths and Science with BYJU’S App/ Tablet.