CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics for 2022-23 and 2021-22 is provided here to help students with their studies. For the academic year 2021-22, the board has divided the CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics into two parts. Also, the examinations will be conducted in two parts for each term. The Term 1 Physics Class 12 Syllabus will consist of four units, and Term 2 will cover five units. Students of Class 12 are advised to have an in-depth knowledge of the CBSE Class 12 Physics syllabus to get a fair idea about the Physics paper pattern and marking scheme for each term. By going through the CBSE Class 12 Physics Syllabus, students will know the details such as unit names, chapters under each unit, and sub-topics for the Term 1 and Term 2 exam. Along with this, they will also get to know the CBSE Class 12 Physics Practical Syllabus and evaluation scheme.
The Central Board of Secondary Education, popularly known as CBSE, is responsible for creating the CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics and conducting the exam. To download the term wise CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics, click on the pdf link provided below. The PDF also contains the list of Physics experiments consisting of the complete detail of the practical syllabus.
Given below is the CBSE Class 12 Physics syllabus along with the marking scheme and number of periods required for completing each unit.
CBSE Class 12 Physics Syllabus 2021-22 for Term 1
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics Term 1 consist of chapter 1 to 7 as mentioned in the table below.
Time: 90 Minutes
Max Marks: 35
|Unit No.||Name of Unit||No. of Periods||Marks|
|Chapter–1: Electric Charges and Fields|
|Chapter–2: Electrostatic Potential and Capacitance|
|Chapter–3: Current Electricity|
|Unit-III||Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism||16||18|
|Chapter–4: Moving Charges and Magnetism|
|Chapter–5: Magnetism and Matter|
|Unit-IV||Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents||19|
|Chapter–6: Electromagnetic Induction|
|Chapter–7: Alternating Current|
CBSE Class 12 Physics Syllabus 2021-22 for Term 2
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics Term 2 consist of chapter 8 to 14.
Time: 2 Hours
Max Marks: 35
|Unit No.||Name of Unit||No. of Periods||Marks|
|Chapter–8: Electromagnetic Waves|
|Chapter–9: Ray Optics and Optical Instruments|
|Chapter–10: Wave Optics|
|Unit–VII||Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter||07||11|
|Chapter–11: Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter|
|Unit–VIII||Atoms and Nuclei||11|
|Chapter–14: Semiconductor Electronics: Materials, Devices and Simple Circuits|
Students can also go through the CBSE Class 12 Syllabus to know the topics to be studied for the other subjects.
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics Practical Term Wise
List of Experiment for Term 1 Class 12 Physics Practical
- To determine resistivity of two / three wires by plotting a graph between potential difference versus current.
- To find the resistance of a given wire / standard resistor using metre bridge.
To verify the laws of combination (series) of resistances using a metre bridge.
To verify the laws of combination (parallel) of resistances using a metre bridge
- To compare the EMF of two given primary cells using potentiometer.
To determine the internal resistance of given primary cell using potentiometer
- To determine the resistance of a galvanometer by half-deflection method and to find its figure of merit.
- To convert the given galvanometer (of known resistance and figure of merit) into a voltmeter of desired range and to verify the same.
To convert the given galvanometer (of known resistance and figure of merit) into an ammeter of desired range and to verify the same.
- To find the frequency of AC mains with a sonometer.
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics: Activities Assigned for Term I
- To measure the resistance and impedance of an inductor with or without iron core.
- To measure resistance, voltage (AC/DC), current (AC) and check continuity of a given circuit using multimeter.
- To assemble a household circuit comprising three bulbs, three (on/off) switches, a fuse and a power source.
- To assemble the components of a given electrical circuit.
- To study the variation in potential drop with length of a wire for a steady current.
- To draw the diagram of a given open circuit comprising at least a battery, resistor/rheostat, key, ammeter and voltmeter. Mark the components that are not connected in proper order and correct the circuit and also the circuit diagram.
List of Experiment for Term 2 Class 12 Physics Practical
- To find the focal length of a convex lens by plotting graphs between u and v or between 1/u and 1/v.
- To find the focal length of a convex mirror, using a convex lens.
To find the focal length of a concave lens, using a convex lens.
- To determine the angle of minimum deviation for a given prism by plotting a graph between angle of incidence and angle of deviation.
- To determine the refractive index of a glass slab using a travelling microscope.
- To find the refractive index of a liquid by using a convex lens and plane mirror.
- To draw the I-V characteristic curve for a p-n junction in forward bias and reverse bias.
CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 Physics: Activities assigned for Term-II
- To identify a diode, an LED, a resistor and a capacitor from a mixed collection of such items.
- Use of multimeter to see the unidirectional flow of current in case of a diode and an LED and check whether a given electronic component (e.g., diode) is in working order.
- To study effect of intensity of light (by varying distance of the source) on an LDR.
- To observe refraction and lateral deviation of a beam of light incident obliquely on a glass slab.
- To observe polarization of light using two Polaroids.
- To observe diffraction of light due to a thin slit.
- To study the nature and size of the image formed by a (i) convex lens, (ii) concave mirror, on a screen by using a candle and a screen (for different distances of the candle from the lens/mirror).
- To obtain a lens combination with the specified focal length by using two lenses from the given set of lenses.
CBSE Class 12 Physics Syllabus 2022-23
Students can download the latest released CBSE Class 12 Physics Syllabus PDF from the link below. Going through the syllabus will help students to know the topics they are going to study in Physics during the academic year.
To know the syllabus of other subjects of Class 1 to 12, visit here. Get access to interactive lessons and videos related to Maths and Science with BYJU’S – The Learning App.