NCERT Syllabus Class 6 Civics – Download Free PDF
The NCERT Syllabus for Class 6 Civics is a crucial resource for students. Through the syllabus, they get to know the unit name and topics under each unit which they have to study in the academic session. This helps them in creating an effective study time table for themselves. Also, they can study the topics in advance to be ahead of their classmates. Here we have provided the NCERT Class 6 Civics Syllabus. Students can download the NCERT Syllabus in pdf format from the links given.
The solutions are formulated by expert faculty team of members at BYJU’S in an unique way. Students who aim to score high in board exams are advised to study from the NCERT Textbook. Students can get free PDFs of NCERT Solutions for Classes 1 to 12.
The NCERT Books are considered to be the best resource for CBSE students. The books follow the CBSE curriculum. Therefore, students who are aspiring to score good marks in their examination must be completely thorough with the NCERT syllabus for Class 6.
Students can have a look at the unit names, topics, themes and objectives of the syllabus from the table below.
|UNIT 1: Diversity
In this unit, we focus on various aspects of diversity. The first section begins by having the child recognise diversity as a fact of being human and understanding diversity as different ways of doing the same thing. The second section builds on this by having the child interrogate societal prejudices against diversity, recognising that the self can be made up of multiple identities and that the Constitution compels us to respect diversity.
• Diversity as a fact of being human.
• What diversity adds to our lives.
• Diversity in India.
• Prejudice and discrimination.
• Inequality and discrimination.
• Recognition of multiple identities in oneself.
• The Constitution and respect for diversity.
|To enable students to:
• understand and appreciate various forms of diversity in their everyday environments.
• develop sensitivity towards pluralism and interdependence.
• understand how prejudice can lead to discrimination.
• understand the difference between diversity and inequality.
• recognise that there are multiple identities within ourselves that we use in different contexts and that these can come into conflict with each other.
• understand that the Constitution compels us to respect diversity.
|UNIT 2: Government
This unit introduces the student to the idea of government. The first section focuses on the need for it, the history of adult franchise, the various types of governments that exist at present. The second section discusses the key elements that influence the functioning of a democratic government.
• The need for government.
• Decision-making and participation.
• The quest for universal adult franchise through examples of the suffragette movement and the antiapartheid struggle.
• Various forms of government and the absence of collective sanction.
Key elements that influence the functioning of democratic government:
• Participation and accountability.
• Resolution of Conflict.
• Concerns for Equality and Justice.
|To enable students to:
• gain a sense of why the government is required.
• recognise the need for the universal adult franchise.
• appreciate need to make decisions with collective sanction.
• understand key elements that influence the functioning of democracy.
|UNIT 3: Local Government
This unit familiarises the student with both rural and urban local government. It covers the Panchayati Raj, rural administration and urban government and administration. The effort is to have the child draw contrasts and comparisons between the ways in which urban and rural local government function.
Section 1: Panchayati Raj
• Description of panchayat including the electoral process, decision making, implementation of decisions
• Role of a gram sabha
• Women and the panchayat
Section 2: Urban Local Government
• Municipal corporation elections, decision making structures
• The provision of water and the work of the municipal corporation
• Citizens protests to get their grievances addressed.
Section 3: Rural Administration
• Focus on a land dispute and show the role of local police and patwari.
• On land records and the role of patwari.
• On the new inheritance law.
|To enable children to
• understand the local level of government functioning.
• understand the workings of the Panchayati raj and appreciate its importance.
• gain a sense of who performs what role within the local administration.
• understand how the various levels of administration at the local level are interconnected.
• understand the intricacies involved in the local administration’s provision of water.
|UNIT 4: Making a Living
This unit focuses on individuals earn a livelihood both in the rural and the urban context. The rural context focuses on various types of farmers and the urban one on various types of occupations people engage in to earn an income. The student should be able to compare and contrast the urban and rural context.
Section 1: Rural Livelihoods
• Various types of livelihoods prevalent in a village.
• Different types of farmers: middle farmer, landless labourers and large farmers.
Section 2: Urban Livelihoods
• Difference between primary, secondary and tertiary occupations.
• Descriptions of various types of livelihoods including vegetable vendor, domestic servant, garment worker and the bank employee.
• Differences between self-employed, regular employment and wage employment.
• The interlinkage between rural and urban lives through a discussion of migration.
|To enable students to:
• understand conditions that underline and impact life strategies of various groups of people.
• understand that these conditions and opportunities for making a living are not equally available to all.
The NCERT Class 6 Textbook of Civics covers the entire syllabus as mentioned in the table. So, students who are aspiring to score good marks in Social Science subject must study from the NCERT book.
Keep learning and stay tuned for further updates on CBSE and other competitive exams. Download BYJU’S App and subscribe to YouTube channel to access interactive Maths and Science videos.
Frequently Asked Questions on NCERT Syllabus for Class 6 Civics
How does the NCERT Syllabus for Class 6 Civics help students in their exam preparation ?
What is the importance of using the NCERT Syllabus for Class 6 Civics?
1. Relevant diagrams are given wherever required to aid students to understand concepts effectively.
2. Subject experts have created the solutions carefully according to the latest CBSE guidelines.
3. All the fundamentals and complex topics are explained in simple language.
4. The solutions PDF help students during their revisions.
5. Provide accurate answers to all the textbook questions present in the textbook.