Aspirants dreaming to become a Junior Research Fellow (JRF) or Lecturer should appear for the CBSE UGC NET Exam. The University Grants Commission – National Eligibility Test (UGC – NET) conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). The UGC exam will comprise of 2 papers which will be held in 2 separate sessions. All NET question paper: UGC NET Paper 1, and Paper 2 will be compulsory for the candidates which will cover the entire UGC NET Syllabus.
UGC NET Exam Pattern
The UGC NET exam will be held in 2 sessions comprising 2 different papers as mentioned above. Some details about NET exam syllabus and UGC NET exam pattern are mentioned below.
- All the papers will have multiple-choice questions (MCQ).
- UGC NET paper 1, and 2 will have a total of 320 marks with a total time duration of 3 hours.
- UGC NET paper 1 will have 100 marks and paper 2 will have a total of 200 marks.
- UGC NET Paper 1 exam timing: 1 Hour (9.30 am – 10.35 am)
- UGC NET Paper 2 exam timing: 2 Hour (11.00 am – 1.00 pm)
- No negative mark is deducted for a wrong answer
- Cut off marks: NET Paper 1 – 40% and for Paper 2 – 35%. ( For OBC, PWD/ SC/ ST – 35% overall)
- All three papers will be on a single day.
The important details of UGC NET Exam Pattern are mentioned in the table below.
UGC NET Exam Pattern
|Paper||Session||Number of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|Total||150 (Questions to be attempted – All)||300||3 Hours|
UGC NET Exam Syllabus
Candidates should be totally aware of the UGC NET syllabus before appearing for the exam. As mentioned earlier the NET exam will consist of 2 papers, the UGC NET Paper 1 will be a common paper while Paper 2 will be subject based. Some details of the UGC NET syllabus are mentioned below.
- UGC NET Syllabus Paper 1: The UGC NET syllabus paper 1 is designed in such a way that it will test the candidate’s teaching and research ability of the candidate.
- UGC NET Paper 2 Syllabus: Paper 2 will be subject based. A total of 100 subjects will be covered in the UGC NET Exam. Candidates will have to select one subject for the NET Exam preferably the subject of their post-graduation.
The detailed UGC NET Syllabus is given in the table below.
|1||General Paper on Teaching & Research Aptitude (Paper -I)||00|
|2||Economics / Rural Economics /Co-operation / Demography / Development Planning/ Development Studies/Econometrics/ Applied Economics/Development Eco./Business Economics||01|
|12||Defence and Strategic Studies||11|
|17||Management (including Business Admn. Mgt./Marketing/ Marketing Mgt./Industrial Relations and Personnel Mgt./ Personnel Mgt./Financial Mgt./Co-operative Management)||17|
|39||French (French Version)||39|
|40||French (English Version)|
|47||Adult Education/ Continuing Education/ Andragogy/ Non Formal Education.||46|
|49||Arab Culture and Islamic Studies||49|
|51||Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/ Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management||55|
|53||Library and Information Science||59|
|54||Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian and Peace Studies||60|
|55||Comparative Study of Religions||62|
|56||Mass Communication and Journalism||63|
|57||Performing Art – Dance/Drama/Theatre||65|
|58||Museology & Conservation||66|
|61||Tribal and Regional Language/Literature||70|
|64||Sanskrit traditional subjects (including) Jyotisha/Sidhanta Jyotish/ Navya Vyakarna/ Vyakarna/ Mimansa/ Navya Nyaya/ Sankhya Yoga/ Tulanatmaka Darsan/ Shukla Yajurveda/ Madhav Vedant/ Dharmasasta/ Sahitya/ Puranotihasa /Agama).||73|
|66||Visual Art (including Drawing & Painting/Sculpture Graphics/Applied Art/History of Art)||79|
|68||Social Medicine & Community Health||81|
|75||Computer Science and Applications||87|
|78||Politics including International Relations/International Studies including Defence/Strategic Studies, West Asian Studies, South East Asian Studies, African Studies, South Asian Studies, Soviet Studies, American Studies.||90|
|80||Human Rights and Duties||92|
|81||Tourism Administration and Management.||93|
Stay tuned with Byju’s to get the latest notification on UGC NET exam along with exam admit card, eligibility, NET exam details and more.