Sri Ravi Shankar Prasad is the current minister of Electronics and Information Technology. He also holds the portfolio of Law and Justice.
Initially, the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) was included in the Ministry of Communication but later a separate Ministry was formed, named the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
IAS Exam aspirants must carefully go through the information described in this article and prepare yourself accordingly.
|Preparing for the upcoming Civil Services Exam?? Solve UPSC Previous Year Question Papers and ace the CSE exam!
Also, refer to the following links to complement your preparation:
What is DeitY?
DeitY stands for Department of Electronics and Information Technology. It was earlier known as the Department of Information Technology. It was renamed to the Department of Electronics and Information Technology in the year 2012. In July 2016, DeitY was promoted as a full-fledged Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, bifurcated from Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
Functions of DeitY
Given below are the functions which the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) is responsible for:
- Policy matters relating to information technology, Electronics and Internet
- Promotion of internet and IT-enabled services
- Assistance to other departments in the promotion of E-Governance, E-Commerce, E- Medicine, E-Infrastructure, etc.
- Matters relating to Cyber Laws
- Initiative on bridging the Digital Divide
- Initiatives for development of Hardware/Software industry including knowledge-based enterprises, measures for promoting IT exports and competitiveness of the industry
Objectives of DeitY
The Department is mainly responsible for the development of the IT and e-governance patterns. Discussed below are the objectives of DeitY:
- e-Government: Providing e-infrastructure for delivery of e-services
- e-Industry: Promotion of electronics hardware manufacturing and IT-ITeS industry
- e-Learning: Providing support for the development of e-Skills and Knowledge network
- e-Security: Securing India’s cyberspace
- Internet Governance: Enhancing India’s role in Global Platforms of Internet Governance
|Women in Science Research & Development||E-Governance and its Significance|
|Stages Of E-Governance||Science, Technology and Innovation Policy (STIP)|
|Vaishwik Bhartiya Vaigyanik (VAIBHAV) Summit||Digital India|
Under which Ministry does the Unique Identification Development Authority of India (UIDAI) function?
UIDAI functions under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
Which are Some of the Most Important Agencies Functioning under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology?
Some of the important agencies or organizations which come under the ambit of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology are given below.
- National Informatics Centre (NIC)
- CERT-In (Indian Computer Emergency Response Team).
- National Internet Exchange of India
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)
The above details would help candidates prepare for UPSC 2021.