History is an integral part of the UPSC exam preparation. History portions are present in the UPSC prelims exam as well as the UPSC mains exam. In the mains exam, it is part of the General Studies Paper 1. History is a subject that evokes mixed reactions from the candidates. While some candidates relish reading history, others simply dislike it. History is an important subject as it connects the ancient past to the present. It helps us understand why the world is as it is today. It helps us explore who we really are. With the right approach, history can be one of the most interesting subjects there are. In this article, we give you the history syllabus for the UPSC general studies paper. It is a substantive part of the GS Paper I Syllabus in the mains exam. In this article you will read about the syllabus of ancient history for IAS, also about medieval and modern history.
Check the history syllabus for the UPSC prelims by clicking on the link given below:
History syllabus for IAS prelims:
History of India and Indian National Movement. For details, you may check the page below:
UPSC Mains GS I History Syllabus
Indian Heritage and Culture, History:
- Indian Culture: Salient features of Literature, Art Forms, and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian History: Significant events, personalities and issues during the middle of the eighteenth century until the present.
- Indian Freedom Struggle: Stages, important contributors and contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization in the country.
- History of the World: Events, forms and effect on the society from 18th century like world wars, industrial revolution, colonization, redrawal of national boundaries, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism, etc.
History books for IAS Mains
We also give you the important books for history for the UPSC civil services mains (GS 1):
- India’s Ancient Past – R.S. Sharma
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra
- Facets of Indian Culture by Spectrum
- India Since Independence by Bipin Chandra
- Mastering Modern World History – Norman Lowe
- Themes of History II (NCERT Textbook of Standard XII)
- NCERT books for history
For more such articles and strategy on clearing the IAS exam, visit the BYJU’S free IAS prep website.
|IAS History Optional Syllabus for Mains Exam|
|NCERT Notes for Modern Indian History for IAS exam|