“Clarity, Character, Consistency, and Confidence are the bottom line for cracking the Civil Services Examination.”
– Atul Vikas Kulkarni, AIR 180, CSE 2014
When the UPSC declares the final rank list of the Civil Services Examination, a few candidates from humble backgrounds clear the IAS exam by their sheer determination and hard work.
The UPSC success story of Atul Vikas Kulkarni is always an inspiration for UPSC IAS aspirants.
He secured the 180th rank in the IAS Exam 2014 and was allocated the IPS.
IAS Topper Story – Atul Kulkarni Background
- Atul hails from Karnataka state in India.
- He did his primary education from Gokak, Belgaum.
- At the age of 8, due to several problems confronted by his family he had to move to Bangalore along with his family.
- Then he joined Sudarshan Vidya Mandir School.
- After his schooling, he joined B.Tech Engineering in Computer Science from National Institute of Technology, Mysore.
- He started his career as a software engineer in Mindtree Limited. After one year, he came to the conclusion that working in the private sector was not satisfying enough.
- He decided to do a post-graduation in Urban Policy and Governance from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai.
- After completing his post-graduation he worked as a consultant in CRISIL at Nasik Municipal Corporation.
You can get all information about IPS Salary at the linked article.
Atul decided to take the UPSC exam at a relatively age of 28 years. In the first attempt, he did not even clear the IAS prelims exam. In the second attempt, Atul cracked the exam and was selected for the Indian Police Service.
He believes that the path to UPSC success is having a clear understanding of the civil services exam.
He believes that the key to success is 4 C- Clarity, Character, Consistency, and Confidence.
In the table given below, you can read all you need to know about the Indian Police Service (IPS):
Atul’s optional subject was Sociology. Read all about the Sociology optional here.
Atul Vikas Kulkarni Facts
Service allocated: IPS
For more such UPSC success stories for inspiration and motivation, you can check out our segment which posts articles on IAS toppers, Get Inspired.