Every Year, National Civil Services Day is celebrated on April 21st by the Government of India. The Civil Services Day is dedicated to India’s civil servants for their contribution and hard work in public administration.
This article will dive deep into the facts such as What is National Civil Services Day and why is it celebrated on 21 April every year.
Aspirants of Civil Services Exam must know the information given in the article as they are seeking to serve Civil Services.
Candidates preparing for upcoming UPSC Prelims can check the following relevant related links for assistance in the preparation –
|National Science Day 2021||National Youth Day 2021|
|National Unity Day 2021||National Technology Day 2021|
|National Statistics Day||World Environment Day 2021|
|International Day of Older Persons||National Panchayati Raj Day – NPRD|
Civil Services Day – Overview
- The Civil Services is the permanent executive branch of the Republic of India. Check out the difference between Democratic and Republic on the linked page.
- National Civil Services Day is celebrated annually as an occasion for the civil servants to rededicate themselves to the cause of citizens and renew their commitments to public Services and excellence in work.
- On this day, Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration are presented to Districts/Implementing Units for implementation of Priority programmes and innovation categories.
- The first function of Civil Services Day was held in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi 21 April 2006.
- The function of National Civil Services Day is organised by the Department of the Administrative Reforms and Public grievances (DARPG) and Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
Check out the following relevant links for more information –
- Role of Civil Services in a Democracy
- Civil Services Reforms in India
- Administrative Reforms In India
National Civil Services Day – Historical Background
- This date April 21 is chosen to commemorate the day when first Home Minister of Independent India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel addressed the probationers of Administrative Services Officers in 1947 at Metcalf House, Delhi,
- Patel addressed Civil servants as the ‘Steel Frame of India’.
- He also laid out the golden rules and principles of good governance for the civil servants in his address.
Aspirants can read about the Father’s of Various Fields on the linked page.
Significance of Civil Services Day
- The Day is dedicated to all those who are involved in Civil Services in order to commemorate their exemplary Services.
- On this day, the central government evaluates the work of various departments, and they also make plans for the coming years.
- The celebration on this day motivates Civil Services officers to work more efficiently for the public.
Candidates preparing for the upcoming Civil Services Exam can get the detailed UPSC Syllabus and exam pattern at the linked article.