National Unity Day is also called Rashtriya Ekta Diwas which is celebrated on 31st October each year to commemorate the birth anniversary of the iron man of India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. National Unity Day 2021 will mark 146th anniversary of Patel.
The facts mentioned in this article can be used in a National Unity Day essay that can be asked in various competitive examinations including IAS exam.
National Unity Day – Facts about Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
|When is National Unity Day celebrated?||31st October|
|Why is the significance of ‘day of unity’?||It is celebrated to remember Late Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his birth Anniversary.|
|When was Rashtriya Ekta Diwas introduced?||The Government of India introduced it in 2014.|
|Candidates can take the help of following links for UPSC 2022 preparation:|
National Unity Day 2021
The Rashtriya Ekta Diwas or National Unity Day 2021 will be celebrated on 31st October 2021. Related information that will be important for the UPSC CSE will be updated here.
Meanwhile, aspirants can read about the important days, dates and events of 2021 in the linked article.
Salient Points of National Unity Day 2020
- On the 7th edition of National Unity Day which was celebrated on 31st October 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the seaplane service from Ahmedabad to the Statue of Unity in Kevadia (Gujarat.)
- A webinar on ‘Role of Sardar Patel in Unifying India’ has been launched.
- Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Pledge, also known as the ‘Unity Pledge’ has been administered.
- The film division organization screened a biographical documentary titled, ‘Iron Man – Sardar Patel’.
- Sardar Patel National Unity Awards (the highest civilian award in the field of contribution to the unity and integrity of India) have been announced on the occasion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas 2020.
- Other programmes that envelope the ideas of the National Unity Day are organised:
- Run for Unity
- Ekta Parade
Why does India celebrate Rashtriya Ekta Diwas?
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel played a pivotal role in the national integration of India. He was the pioneer behind the integration of princely states with Independent India. Hence, National Unity Day or the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas is the symbol to memorialize the unity of India since independence.
Read about Integration of Princely States in detail in the linked article.
The ideologies of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel are also reflected in India’s Atmanirhbar Bharat Abhiyan as Patel championed the ideas of united and able India (Ek Bharat, Shreshtha Bharat.)
A few important facts about Sardar Vallabhai Patel
- He was born on 31st October 1875 in Nadiad village of Gujarat.
- He is known as the iron man of India.
- He played a significant role in India’s Freedom Struggle.
- He was India’s first deputy prime minister and home minister.
- He was given the title of ‘Sardar’ by Mahatma Gandhi and was called ‘Sardar’ by women of Bardoli when he led Bardoli Satyagraha.
- He is called the founder of modern All India Services.
- He presided over the Indian National Congress (INC) Session of Karachi in 1931.
- PM Modi inaugurated the Statue of Unity of Patel on unity day of India 2018, i.e. 31st October 2018.
Quick Facts about National Unity Day or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
Why is 31st October celebrated as National Unity Day?
Who introduced National Unity Day in India?
What is the theme of National Unity Day 2021?
Aspirants can read the biography, and contributions of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the linked article.
|Mahatma Gandhi’s Early Freedom Movements||Important Indian Freedom Fighters|
|Ten Women Freedom Fighters of India||Hyderabad Integration in Indian Union|
|Reorganization of States||Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014|