What is TNPSC? What are the TNPSC exams? TNPSC full form is Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission. The commission recruits for Group 1,2,3,4 services of the state government. TNPSC Group 1, Group 2, and other exams are called TNPSC exams.
This article aims to provide pertinent details regarding the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission as an organization as well as an exam conducting body which is responsible to undertake the Provincial Civil Services exams, the TNPSC exams.
To know about various other State Public Service Commission Exams, please check the given link.
About Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission
- Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission is a government department in Tamil Nadu, which is responsible for the recruitment of eligible personnel into the State’s Public Service.
- The State Service Commission of Tamil Nadu conducts Provincial Civil Services Exams on an annual basis.
- Articles 316 to 319 of the Constitution of India deal with the structure of state public service commissions.
- The Commission consists of 15 Members including 1 Chairman. The current TNPSC chairman is Dr. C. Munianathan, a retired IAS officer.
- Functions of TNPSC Includes :
- Advise the Government on all matters relating to framing of recruitment rules.
- Making appointments and promotions and transfers from one service to another service, in respect of disciplinary matters affecting government servants
- Conduct examinations for selection of candidates under direct recruitment to the State, Subordinate and Ministerial Services.
- Conduct departmental examinations for government servants and examinations on behalf of the national Ministry of Defence.
TNPSC conducts a wide range of examinations throughout the year for the recruitment of various posts under the state government. It provides candidates with the gateway to start their career in the state government as Group A & B officers and Subordinate staff as well. Let’s find out more on these TNPSC exams.
Various recruitment exams for posts ranging from Group I to IV conducted by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission throughout the year are listed below –
- Combined Civil Services Examination – I (Group 1 Services)
- Combined Civil Services Examination – II (Group-II And Group-II A Services)
- Combined Civil Services Examination-III (Group-III Services)
- Combined Civil Services Examination-IV (Group-IV Services & VAO)
- Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination
- TNPSC Assistant Engineer Examination
- TNPSC Assistant System Engineer Examination
- TNPSC District Education Officer Examination
- Combined Library and Information Services Examination
- Combined Geology Service Examination
- Combined Statistics Service Examination
Interested candidates can check out other PSC Notifications for reference.
Visit the following links for a better preparation-
|NCERT books PDFs||Government Schemes|
|List of Books for Competitive Exam Preparation||Daily Comprehensive News Analysis|
|Current Affairs for Competitive Exams||General English for Competitive Exams|
The TNPSC Eligibility to recruit eligible candidates for different posts are determined by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission. Aspiring candidates are required to satisfy the TNPSC eligibility criteria in order to be eligible and appear for the exam.
Exams for various posts in TNPSC Group 1, TNPSC Group 2, TNPSC Group 3, TNPSC Group 4, etc. have their unique TNPSC eligibility conditions.
Candidates are advised to read the TNPSC notification properly for different eligibility conditions such as TNPSC Age limit, TNPSC Educational Qualification, etc before filling up the TNPSC Application form.
The basic requirement of TNPSC exam eligibility condition is that the applicants must be well versed with the Tamil language and must be an Indian Citizen.
The table below highlights the TNPSC eligibility for various exams centering two general requirements –
- TNPSC Age Limit
- TNPSC Educational Qualification
|TNPSC Group 1 Exam Eligibility Criteria||
|TNPSC Group 2 Eligibility||
|TNPSC Group 3 Eligibility||
|TNPSC Group 4 Eligibility||
|TNPSC Combined Engineering Services Exam Eligibility||
|TNPSC Assistant System Engineer Eligibility||
|TNPSC Assistant Engineer Eligibility||
|TNPSC District Education Officer Eligibility||
TNPSC Exam Pattern
The TNPSC Recruitment notification contains all the details regarding the subject-wise topics, marking scheme, exam pattern, etc. The TNPSC exam patterns vary according to the Groups of the TNPSC Recruitment.
The TNPSC Exam Pattern for most of the exams conducted by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission mostly are on the same line and follow the three stage exam pattern i.e. TNPSC Preliminary Exam, TNPSC Mains Exam and TNPSC Interview or Personality Test.
The Table below provides the main highlights of the TNPSC Exam Pattern for major TNPSC Exams-
|TNPSC Exam Pattern|
|TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern||
|TNPSC Group 2||
|TNPSC Group 3||
|TNPSC Group 4||
|TNPSC Combined Engineering Services Exam||
|TNPSC Assistant System Engineer Exam||
|TNPSC Assistant Engineer Syllabus||
|TNPSC District Education Officer Exam||
The TNPSC Syllabus is released by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) on its official website. Aspirants must be well aware of the subject-wise topics covered in the TNPSC syllabus for better results.
The TNPSC Syllabus for different examination recruitments for which are done by the Tamil Nadu PSC are tabulated below –
|TNPSC Exams||Prelims Syllabus||Mains Syllabus|
|TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus||
||Paper 1 – Modern Indian History and Indian Culture
Paper 2 – Indian Polity and Emerging Political Trends
Paper 3 – Indian Geography – Tamil Nadu
|TNPSC Group 2||
||Part A – Translation of Tamil to English and vice versa
Part B – Precis Writing
|TNPSC Group 3||
|TNPSC Group 4||
|TNPSC Combined Engineering Services Exam||Paper 1 –
||Paper 2 –
|TNPSC Assistant System Engineer Exam||Paper 1 –
||Paper 2 –
Paper 3 – Part A 10 questions 5 marks each. Part B 10 questions 10 marks each.
|TNPSC Assistant Engineer Syllabus||Paper 1 –
||Paper 2 –
|TNPSC District Education Officer Exam||
||Paper 1 – General Studies
Paper 2 – General Studies
Paper 3 – Education
To get through the tough competition of TNPSC exam candidates require various study materials and best TNPSC books to give an edge to their preparation. Aspirants can check important TNPSC Study Material on the linked page.
TNPSC Exam has sections based on general awareness, knowledge of the language of Tamil or English, mental ability as well as a section based on the specialization of the subject.
Given below are a few TNPSC books to help you prepare well for the exam –
|TNPSC Book List|
|Aptitude and mental Ability||TNPSC Preliminary General Studies, Aptitude, and Mental Ability by VVK Subburaj
Quantitative aptitude for competitive examinations – S Chand Publication
|General Awareness||Arihant GK|
|Tamil Language||Tamil Nadu State Board books, TNPSC GENERAL TAMIL by Arivukadal Pathipagam|
|English Language||General English for All Competitive Examinations – Arihant publication|
|General Studies||Manual for TNPSC Examinations (General Studies) – McGraw Hills publication|
|Current Affairs||Newspaper like The Hindu, The Indian Express|
The best preparation strategy for competitive exams can be reviewed at the linked article.
TNPSC Online Application
Whenever TNPSC Notification for different posts and groups are released aspirants are required to fill in the TNPSC application form in order to appear for the TNPSC exams.
In the respective notification of different TNPSC exams the commission gives the TNPSC apply online opening and closing dates. Aspirants have to submit their TNPSC exam application form within the stipulated time period.
The TNPSC online application process for all the exams conducted by the Tamil Nadu public Service Commission is the same. Which is given below for candidates reference –
Steps to fill the TNPSC application Form –
- Visit the official website of Tamil Nadu public service Commission
- Go to the Apply Online section of the site and search for the TNPSC Application form for which you wish to apply.
- If you are the first time applicant, register with the TNPSC by paying rupees 150 and generate your registration ID and password.
- As the application form opens, fill all the categories and information in the given columns.
- Review the information in case of any spelling mistakes or other errors.
- Scan and submit the documents asked, such as signature, photograph, mark sheets, etc. Hit on the submit button.
- Pay the application fee and do not reload or refresh the page until the payment is in process.
- Once the payment is done, the TNPSC Application is successfully submitted and will appear on your screen, print the form. You may need it in the future for reference.
TNPSC Admit Card
The most important document required by the candidates to be able to take the exam is the TNPSC Admit Card. The Tamil Nadu Public service Commission issued TNPSC Hall Tickets at least a week before the exam.
It is mandatory for candidates to carry their TNPSC Admit Cards to the exam center. Candidates can download their respective hall tickets by simply logging in with their login credentials like Application ID and Date of Birth (DOB).
Given below are the steps to download the NPSC Admit card –
- Log on to the official TNPSc website
- Hover to the Download TNPSC Admit card link
- You will be redirected to a page with notifications announcing the different TNPSC hall tickets that have been released.
- Search for the TNPSC exam that you have applied for and click on the download TNPSC hall Ticket Link
- Key in you login credentials
- Your TNPSc Admit Card will appear on the screen
- Verify the details and download the TNPSC hall ticket.
The TNPSC result is declared on the official website of the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC). TNPSC releases the result for various posts for the candidates who meet the cut off.
To check the TNPSC result candidates have to – Visit the TNPSC website > Go to the Result section > Verify their details > Enter the information such as name, Hall ticket number, DOB, and the passwords to get the TNPSC result > Download the TNPSc Result.
Given below are the important 5 pointers that candidates must note while checking their TNPSC Result –
- Confirm that all the details mentioned on the result about the candidates are correct, such as the name of the candidate, date of birth, roll number, and registration number.
- Obtained marks in the written exam.
- Post for which you have appeared.
- TNPSC Cut off marks according to the various categories (SC/ST/OBC).
- Rank of the candidate.
TNPSC Exam Centers
The following are the TNPSC Exam Centers recognized to conduct various Tamil Nadu State Service examinations.
|TNPSC Exam Centers|
Check out various important links given below –
|TNPSC Group 2 exam||TNPSC Group 1 Result||TNPSC Group 1 Notification|
|TNPSC Group 1 Exam Preparation||TNPSC Group 2 Recruitment||Exam Dates for TNPSC Group 1|
Aspirants looking forward to appearing for the other government exams in the country can visit the linked article and learn more about the exam dates, syllabus, selection process and more. This will guide them through chalking out a preparation strategy for the competitive exams.