Haryana Public Service Examination holds the HCS exam annually to recruit personnel for the state’s civil services. The Haryana Civil Service is one of the top state services. In order to qualify for the HCS exam, candidates prepare throughout the year. There are three stages to the process. Candidates must qualify at each stage to qualify.
The HCS syllabus has similarities when compared with the IAS Exam syllabus, including modules for General Knowledge and Haryana-related current events.
Syllabus of the HCS Exam
The Haryana Public Service Commission syllabus is extensive, so preparation should begin as soon as possible. It is necessary to prepare well for the prelims to qualify for the mains. A thorough understanding of the syllabus is essential. Curriculum subjects are announced annually by the HCS.
To check out the updated HCS Exam Syllabus for both Prelims and Mains stages, click the linked article.
Haryana PSC Section-wise Books
The following is a list of section-by-section books for the Haryana Public Service examination. Interested applicants might search through the books to see if they can uncover answers to questions from prior years’ question papers.
- General Affairs
- General Studies
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography
- Indian Culture, Polity, and Economy
- Haryana’s facts and current affairs
A candidate should keep up with current events by reading the monthly current affairs magazine and the daily newspaper. Candidates can get information about current issues from Door Darshan News and Rajya Sabha TV.
For current affairs, check out Current Affairs by Arihant Publications.
In general studies, the following topics are covered:
The term general science refers to the use of scientific principles in everyday life. The application part of the HCS exam is crucial. It covers topics from physics, chemistry, and biology.
To prepare for these core concepts, the candidate should consult NCERT books. If a candidate still needs to brush up on their skills, the following books can help.
- Science and Technology by Ravi P Agrahari
- Lucent General Science.
- Encyclopedia of General Science for General Competitions by Expert Compilation
History of India and the Indian National Movement
Candidates should be knowledgeable about a wide range of historical events. The candidate should thoroughly research Mahatma Gandhi, Jawahar Lal Nehru, and other events surrounding the Indian National Movement.
The NCERT history books provide candidates with an overview of major historical themes.
Candidate may also consult:
- The Modern India-Spectrum: A Brief History
- The Struggle for Independence in India by Bipan Chandra
- Satish Chandra’s History of Medieval India
|Preparing for the upcoming Government Exam?? Kickstart your preparation now with the links given below:|
India’s and the world’s geography
On the HCS prelims, a question is asked about geographical features. Candidates should be familiar with India and world facts.
For a better understanding of geography, NCERT books are essential. Candidates are advised to consult the following book for authentic information.
- Mahesh Kumar Barnwal’s Comprehensive Study of Geography
Check NCERT Notes: Geography Notes in the linked article.
Indian Economy, Polity, and Culture
NCERT texts mainly influence Mahesh Kumar Barnwal’s Comprehensive Study of Geography section. In order to prepare topics for Indian culture, students can refer to NCERT books on Indian society. Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Economic Development all provide insight into the Indian economic structure.
Check Economics Notes in the linked article.
Candidates should also read the daily and monthly periodicals to stay updated on the latest economic news. It is vital to keep up with current events to broaden one’s horizons and relate to today’s world. Any monthly magazine that covers current events in special editions will suffice.
Books for Indian Polity
- M. Laxmikant’s Indian Polity
- Constitution of India
Check Polity Notes in the linked article.
The aspirant should consult literature specifically published on the subject for Haryana’s General Knowledge facts. Here are some recommended texts.
- Arihant Publications: Know your state
- Spectrum magazine’s Haryana Samanya Gyaan
Books like these can also aid in preparation for the Main Exam.
Books for Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT)
The civil service aptitude test is called CSAT. It is officially known as General Studies Paper 2. Aspirants can prepare this paper by following recommended books
- General Mental Ability – Logical Reasoning & Analytical Ability: CSAT Paper by Sachchida Nand Jha.
- Compendium of General Mental Ability and Logical Reasoning for IAS Prelims General Studies Paper by Disha Experts.
The following resources can be consulted for an essay:
Essay in English
- Solved papers of UPSC Mains IAS/IPS essays from 7 years by Disha Experts
- 151 Essays for IAS/ PSC and other Competitive Exams, 3rd Edition by Disha Experts
Essay in Hindi
- Nishant Jain and Ganga Singh Rajpurohit. Essay (Nibandh) for UPSC Civil Services Exam.
- Disha Experts 151 Nibandh for IAS/PSC & Competitive Exams.
The Manorama Year Book by Mammen Mathew will prove extremely useful for the General Studies mains examination.
Preparation Tips for HCS Exam 2023
- Candidates must understand that the HCS is the state’s civil service exam, requiring more factual information than the analytical exam.
- Candidates must stress the importance of the state’s folklore.
- As part of the HCS exam, state-specific dance traditions, languages, and tribal groups should also be covered.
- Candidates must be familiar with the administrative framework of the state as well as the local government system.
- The aspirants should prepare for the personalities who played a key part in creating the state and contributing to its advancement.
To qualify for the Haryana Public Service examination, you must be dedicated and design your preparation strategy. To better comprehend the exam structure, applicants should go through the full syllabus in detail, consult previous year’s question papers, and take mock exams.
Visit www.hpsc.gov.in for the latest information about the Haryana Public Service Examination (HCS).
For the Best preparation strategy for competitive exams candidates can visit the linked article and get detailed study material and preparation tips to excel in the examination.
Aspirants preparing for multiple state examinations can go through preparation articles for important PSC exams below:
|KPSC KAS Preparation||MPSC Preparation|
|TNPSC Group 1 Preparation||APPSC Study Material|
|BPSC Preparation||WBCS Exam Preparation|
|JPSC Preparation||GPSC Preparation|
|MPPSC Preparation||Latest Notifications of Government Exams|