In a proposal to fuel broadband internet proliferation across India a few days back, the Government of India launched Prime Minister Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM WANI) Scheme. The project aims to get large-scale deployment of Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) hotspots throughout India to drive up connectivity alternatives and enhance digital access.
The undertaking envisages the establishment of shared Wi-Fi networks and key points by regional Kirana and community shops through public data offices that will not include any fee, license, or registration.
Apart from that, Shared Wi-Fi being a reasonable alternative to reach unserved residents and boost the economy can transform the tech world and significantly enhance Wi-Fi availability across every nook and corner of India. Keep reading the article below to learn more about the PM WANI scheme that will help you clear your concepts for your UPSC preparation.
Candidates can visit the linked article and get the detailed list of government schemes in India, important for general awareness and the current affairs section of various competitive exams.
Preparing for the upcoming civil services exam? Complement it with the links given below:
Understanding PM WANI Scheme
To begin with, let us understand PM WANI full form. PM WANI stands for (Prime Minister Wi-Fi Access Network Interface), which is a recent initiative launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The prime minister recently gave his assent to the proposal of DoT for the establishment of shared Wi-Fi Networks by PDOAs (Public Data Office Aggregators). This PM WANI proposal will facilitate the development of Public Wi-Fi Networks in India and, in turn, will assist in the expansion of Broadband Internet, improvement of revenue and employment, and growth of people.
What Are Some Benefits of the PM Wani Scheme?
Here are some salient features of the PM WANI scheme.
- Increased internet users: PM WANI will rapidly increase the number of internet users not just for entertainment purposes but also for education, healthcare, and agriculture development. This new surge of online users will bring higher accountability to the Indian Government by improving interactivity and transparency.
- Low-Cost Option: Upcoming mobile technologies like 5G might deliver excellent quality data, but they include tremendous investment in the recent spectrum, standard subscriber costs, and connectivity tools.
- Cutting through the levels of bureaucracy: With the help of the PM WANI scheme, the Indian Government is planning to move beyond the level of bureaucracy and eliminate charges and expenses, it can make it effortless even for a grocery shop owner to register on an online platform as a service provider, opening up unexplored earnings possibilities.
Also, refer to the links given below, related to the IAS syllabus:
How Will the PM Wani Scheme Revolutionize Internet Access?
- UPI (Unified Payments Interface) made standard payments models that can help you choose your preferred payment getaway and which bank to pick your online payments.
- This resulted in three outcomes that are higher confidence, better convenience, and reduced costs.
- PM-WANI unleash whose internet connection you employ and from whom you must pay for those services.
- It lets them interoperate and concentrate on connecting the final user made on principles of authorization, access, and accounting.
- The existence of powerful identity infrastructure Aadhaar and DigiLocker form to assist in authenticating online users.
- This architecture further lets prominent data proportion and prominent KYC, which online users can use freely across the country.
- It likewise permits global visitors to take benefit of India’s connectivity without spending excessive roaming costs on their house networks.
Understanding the Objectives of the PM Wani Scheme
- The global pandemic has necessitated the delivery of high-speed and stable Broadband Internet (data) services to a large number of internet users in India, including locations that do not own 4G mobile coverage accomplished by the deployment of shared Wi-Fi.
- The expansion of broadband internet services through shared Wi-Fi is a measure towards the digital India campaign and a significant advantage thereon.
- No license charges for delivering broadband online services using shared Wi-Fi Hotspots will facilitate its expansion and penetration across every nook and corner of India.
- The expansion of shared Wi-Fi will generate employment and improve disposable earnings for entrepreneurs and increase India’s GDP.
Aspirants can visit the linked article and get details about the upcoming government exams that comprise current affairs and general awareness as an important topic in the syllabus.
Get the latest govt exam updates, study material and preparation tips at BYJU’S.
Other Related Links:
Frequently Asked Questions on
What are some benefits of the PM WANI scheme?
Some of the top benefits of a PM WANI scheme are as follows:
- Enhanced GDP
- Ease of doing business
- Improves Quality of life
What are some challenges of the PM WANI scheme?
Mentioned hereunder are some challenges faced by the PM WANI scheme.
- Reduced network speed.
- Various Security Risks.
- Significant clash with mobile telecom firms