India Innovation Index Framework was launched by NITI Aayog, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). It will rank states on Innovations through nation’s first online innovation index portal. This portal will capture data on innovation from each and every Indian state.
This Framework will be structured based on the finest practices trailed in Global Innovation Index (GII) indicators and as well by adding India-centric parameters those accurately reflect the Indian innovation ecosystem.
The India Innovation Index is an important topic from the IAS Exam perspective as questions based on the same may be asked in the prelims and mains examination.
|Preparing for the upcoming IAS Exam? Kickstart your preparation now with the UPSC Previous Year Question Papers!!
Also, compliment your preparation with the links mentioned below:
India Innovation Index
- National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog) is the body which releases the India Innovation Index
- To drive innovations across all the Indian states and Union Territories and to design policies for innovations in different regions, the index is released. It is developed on the lines of the Global Innovation Index (GII)
- The parameters which are considered for measuring innovation include:
- patents per million of population
- publication in scientific journals
- percentage of GDP spending on research
- Demographic dividend and other economy specific parameters
- Number of PhD students and knowledge-intensive employment
- FDI inflows
- Enrolment in engineering and technology and number of highly skilled professionals
- This Index measures innovation input through though ‘enablers’ and innovation output as ‘performance.’
- There are three categories in which the India Innovation Index is divided into:
- Union Territories
- Hill and the North East States
- Enablers are the factors that underpin innovation capacities such as institutions and policies, human capacity, infrastructure, technological adoption, business markets and capital. The five enabler pillars capture elements of the state economy that act as inputs to innovation environment:
- Human Capital
- Knowledge Workers
- Business Environment
- Safety and Legal Environment
- Performance is the benefit that a nation derives from the inputs in terms of knowledge creation, competitiveness and wealth generation. The two performance pillars include:
- Knowledge Output
- Knowledge Diffusion
India Innovation Index 2020
- NITI Aayog along with the Institute for Competitiveness released the India Innovation Index 2020 on January 20, 2021
- State-level Analysis
- Karnataka for the second time scored the highest and Jharkhand finished last
- Given below is the state-wise analysis based on the India Innovation Index 2020:
- Union Territories/Small States
- North East and Hill States
UPSC aspirants can also refer to the links below and prepare themselves for the upcoming Civil Services exam:
|Global Peace Index||Commonwealth Innovation Index|
|Global Indices & India’s Rankings||Consumer Price Index (CPI)|
|MSCI (Morgan Stanley Capital International) Index||World Press Freedom Index|
|Human Capital Index||Wholesale Price Index (WPI)|
Significance of India Innovation Index
The India Innovation Index is of great significance as it will boost the different Indian states and Union Territories to grow innovatively and promote competitive federalism. It will help to improve the environment of innovation in the country.
Candidates can also check the UPSC Syllabus for the prelims and mains examination at the linked article.
For the latest exam updates, study material and preparation strategy, visit BYJU’S.