National Ganga River Basin Authority UPSC
The National Ganga Council is an important topic that comes under the UPSC Polity syllabus.
National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga is an authority created in October 2016 under the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016, dissolving the National Ganga River Basin Authority. In this backdrop, National Ganga Council has been established as an authority and National Mission for Clean Ganga has been also converted into an authority.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS
The National Ganga Council will be overall responsible for the superintendence, direction, development and control of River Ganga and the entire River Basin (including financial and administrative matters) for the protection, prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in River Ganga and its rejuvenation to its natural and pristine condition and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water in the River Ganga and for matters connected therewith.
The National Ganga Council may consult experts and expert organizations or institutions in the field of river rejuvenation, river ecology and river management, hydrology, environmental engineering, social mobilization and other relevant fields.
JURISDICTION OF COUNCIL
The jurisdiction of the National Ganga Council shall extend to the States comprising River Ganga Basin, namely, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Rajasthan,Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Haryana, and the National Capital Territory of Delhi and such other States, having major tributaries of the River Ganga as the National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga may decide for the purpose of effective abatement of pollution and rejuvenation, protection and management of the River Ganga.
National Ganga Council Composition
- Prime Minister will be the ex-officio Chairperson for the council
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation will be the ex-officio Vice-Chairperson.
- The ex-officio members of the council.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change
- Union Minister for Finance
- Union Minister for Urban Development
- Union Minister for Rural Development
- Union Minister for Power, Union Minister for Science and Technology
- Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Union Minister of State for Tourism
- Union Minister for Shipping
- Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog
- Chief Ministers of Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal
Secretary to Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation will be The Director General of National Mission for Clean Ganga will serve as the ex-officio Member Secretary.
The Headquarter of the National Ganga Council shall be at New Delhi or at such other place as it may decide. The council shall have its Secretariat in the National Mission for Clean Ganga. The Central Government in the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation shall serve as the nodal Ministry.
Solving previous year IAS question papers can help you understand where you stand and also help you improve your speed.
PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION ON CLEANING GANGA INITIATIVES
- Which of the following are the key features of ‘National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA)’? (UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2016)
- River basin is the unit of planning and management.
- It spearheads the river conservation efforts at the national level.
- One of the Chief Ministers of the States through which the Ganga flows becomes the Chairman of NGRBA on rotation basis.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2 and 3
UPSC Civil Service Main Examination Previous year questions
- The Namami Gange and National mission for clean Ganga (NMCG) programmes and causes of mixed results from the previous schemes. What quantum leaps can help preserve the river Ganga better than incremental inputs? (UPSC Civil Services Main Examination 2015 General Studies Paper III)