The National Ganga Council was formed in 2016. It is an important body, which is responsible for various government schemes regarding the cleaning up of River Ganga. In this article, you can read all about the National Ganga Council, its formation, mandate, composition and functions for the IAS exam.
Aspirants can find information on the structure and other important details related to the IAS Exam, in the linked article.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
National Ganga Council
The full name of the Council is ‘National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga’.
- It was formed under the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016.
- This Order dissolved the National Ganga River Basin Authority and replaced it with the National Ganga Council.
- This Council has the overall responsibility of preventing pollution and rejuvenating the Ganga River Basin, including the River Ganga and its tributaries.
- Its jurisdiction extends to the states which comprise of the Ganga River Basin namely, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Rajasthan, Haryana, Jharkhand and Delhi-NCR, and any other states having the major tributaries of the Ganga.
- It is chiefly responsible for the implementation of the National Mission for Clean Ganga.
National Ganga Council Composition
The following are the members of the National Ganga Council:
- Prime Minister – Chairperson
- Union Minister for Jal Shakti – Vice-Chairperson
- Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change
- Union Minister for Finance
- Union Minister for Power
- Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs
- Union Minister for Science and Technology
- Union Minister for Rural Development
- Union Minister of State for Tourism
- Union Minister for Shipping
- Vice-Chairman, NITI Aayog
- Chief Minister, Jharkhand
- Chief Minister, Bihar
- Chief Minister, Uttarakhand
- Chief Minister, Uttar Pradesh
- Chief Minister, West Bengal
- Secretary, Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
- Secretary, Department of Drinking Water & Sanitation
- Secretary, Department of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare
- Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
- Director-General, National Mission for Clean Ganga
National Ganga Council Functions
The chief function of the Council is the implementation of the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the Namami Gange programme of the government. This includes preventing pollution in the Ganga River Basin, and rejuvenating the Basin by various activities such as improving the vegetation, ensuring continuity of water flow, restoring and maintaining the surface flow and also groundwater, conserving the aquatic and riparian biodiversity of the region, and cleaning up the area.
The NMCG will comply with the directions and decisions of the Council and execute the Ganga Basin Management Plan approved by it.
National Ganga Council – Indian Polity:- Download PDF Here
Candidates can find the general pattern of the UPSC Exams by visiting the UPSC Syllabus 2020 page.