The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is an important body under the United Nations. Such international bodies and programmes are very relevant for the IAS exam. In this article, you can read all about the UNIDO, its mission and mandate, objectives and India’s relations with it.
International organisations and groupings are an important part of the International Relations section of the General Studies paper-2 in the UPSC Syllabus.
International relations is a very dynamic part and is crucial for multiple papers in Prelims and Mains. Students preparing for UPSC 2022 and other Government Exams must be aware of the topic.
UNIDO UPSC Notes:- Download PDF Here
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
UNIDO is a specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. Read more in United Nations on the given link.
- Mission: To promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in the Member States.
- UNIDO has 170 member states, as of April 2019.
- The UNIDO mission was adopted in 2013 at the 15th UNIDO General Conference as described in the Lima Declaration.
|Candidates can enhance their UPSC exam preparation by attempting UPSC Previous Years Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
UNIDO and India
The UNIDO centres in India have been revamped into the new centre at Delhi called the International Centre for Inclusive & Sustainable Industrial Development (ICISID).
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), formerly called the DIPP, is the nodal agency for all UNIDO-related activities in India.
For a list of international organisations and their reports, click on the linked article.
A few programmes of UNIDO in India are discussed below:
UNIDO and the National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) initiated a skill development programme that would benefit the Solar Thermal Energy sector on different levels.
National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE)
The National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), earlier known as the Solar Energy Centre (SEC) administered by the Ministry of New Renewable Energy (MNRE), was declared as an autonomous body by the Government of India in 2013.
- The National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) is an apex body in the field of Solar Energy for National Research and Development.
- The NISE assists the MNRE in implementing the National Solar Mission.
- It coordinates with other research, technology and projects.
- It is located in Gurugram, Haryana.
Candidates should go through the relevant links provided below to do preparation for UPSC exam even better-
Get the list of International Organizations and their Headquarters on the given link.
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) – Global Environment Facility (GEF) – UNIDO Project is designed to complement MNRE’s support programmes by helping to remove barriers associated with Concentrating Solar Thermal Energy (CST) Technology, its awareness, capacity building, market, and financial barriers.
- The UNIDO – NISE agreement is part of this project which aims to support capacity building and skill development of technical manpower in the Concentrated Solar Thermal Energy Technologies (CST) which are being used to replace conventional fossil fuels and reduce the carbon emissions and other environmental impacts that result from them.
- The duration of the project is from January 2015 to December 2019.
Concentrated Solar Thermal Energy Technologies
Various technologies related to CST have been developed or are under development for different industrial and commercial applications.
- Some industrial processes need temperatures above 80°C. Such industries use Concentrating Solar Collecting Panels like dish collectors or parabolic trough, Non-Imaging concentrators, Linear Fresnel systems, etc.
- Industries that can benefit from these developments are food processing, breweries, pulp and paper, pharmaceutical, desalination and other sectors.
Given below are some related links for assistance in preparation-
- National Mission on Sustainable Habitat (NMSH)
- National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA)
- Green India Mission (GIM)
- National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency (NMEEE)
UPSC exam-related preparation materials will be found through the links given below:
Aspirants can find complete information about upcoming Government Exams through the linked article.