UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Pradhan Mantri LPG Panchayat
Pradhan Mantri LPG Panchayat scheme is a nation-wide scheme launched by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural gas designed to distribute LPG connections to the rural households where conventional fuel is used for domestic purposes and to give a boost to the existing Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY). LPG Panchayat is a backup scheme to the existing PMUY.
- The scheme aims to create awareness about the benefits of replacing the conventional fuels like cow-dung, wood, charcoal etc, with LPG. It was introduced to prevent lakhs of deaths due to health complications arising out of use of conventional fuels.
- Under the scheme Asha workers, officials of Public Sector Undertakings, NGOs and social workers will be involved in connecting the beneficiaries to the Ujjwala yojana. They would also take steps to resolve issues and traditional beliefs among the people.
- One lakh LPG Panchayat will be established nation-wide to deal with the matter of safe use of LPG and its role in women empowerment, environmental benefits etc.
- One LPG Panchayat would consist of 100 LPG users in the vicinity of the Panchayat.
- The LPG Panchayats would serve as an interactive platform between those who have received LPG connections and cylinders under the Ujjwala yojana and share their experiences.
- Issues relating to the safe practices for use of LPG, the quality of services provided by the distributors and availability of the refill cylinders will be taken up for discussion in the LPG Panchayats.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
PMUY is a welfare scheme being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas to provide LPG connections to families below the poverty line, guided by the strong commitment to bring about changes in the life of poor women and also protect their health. Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) is used to identify the beneficiaries (adult woman of a BPL family) and is given a deposit free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs.1600 per connection by the centre.
|Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram|
|Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharata Abhiyan|
|Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana|