Earlier Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning section were clubbed together in CAT exams, but now they have been separated focusing oneself to solve only with the verbal bend of mind. Reading Comprehension is a crucial section in CAT since around 40% of the questions in the Verbal Ability section is asked from these passages. Improving on RC is important because if you do well at RCs, you will do well in other related questions like Para-jumbles and Para-completion also.
What exactly is Reading Comprehension?
Reading Comprehension is the ability to actively read the information (mostly passages) provided and assimilate the information to answer a given set of questions.
So, to solve the reading comprehension questions, one must be able to:
- Understand the crux of the passage
- Answer questions based on the text provided
- Develop a perspective on the tone & tenor of the narration
- Infer or deduce logical arguments
The most followed rule in the RC section is to understand what you read.
It will prove a boon for you if you are able to read fast. But the speed is always secondary to understanding. Below are some tips for exam-preparation.
You must answer these questions before starting your preparation for solving RC:
- What are the types of questions that are asked in a Comprehension?
- What should be the strategy to follow for answering Comprehension?
- What skills can be tested in Comprehension?
- How should one improve in Comprehension?
Reading Comprehension For CAT- Questions:
Here are the Reading Comprehension Exercises that might help you to practice and improve your RC solving skills.
Rules to follow while preparing for RC section:
- One should understand the author’s main point.
- To identify the key arguments being put forward to prove that point.
- To identify the author’s tone which can be Mocking, Curious, Respectful, condescending etc.
- Check for negative conjunctions and these words will definitely show a change in the tone of the author. So, the implication of the author is not what the initial statement suggests. For E.g. But, nevertheless, however, in spite of, etc.,
- See if there are negative qualifiers words which create a doubt about fact being stated. E.g. perhaps, appears, somewhat, seems like, etc.
Best tip to improve in RC (Reading Comprehension):
Inculcate the habit of reading
It is recommended to read newspapers like Indian Express, The Hindu, New York Times, and The Guardian; this undoubtedly will help in improving RC as their editorials cover a diverse set of topics. Students should read every article from examination point of view and grasp the relevance of each paragraph and the author’s ‘tone’. Making notes on these will help to properly prepare for the Reading Comprehension section. Go with downloading apps for vocabulary that would get make learning experience fun, addictive and effective.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn various topics more effectively with detailed preparation tips and engaging videos. With revolutionary techniques, the candidates can learn more effectively and solve the related questions easily.
To get more Tips on Reading Comprehension, visit the below-mentioned links:
| Mathematical approach to solve Reading Comprehension
Reading Comprehension Tips
Importance of Reading Habit For CAT RC
Winner’s Guide to Reading Comprehension
Reading Comprehension Myths
Improve Reading Comprehension