In this article, we shall learn how to prepare Vocabulary for Bank PO exam.
Every bank exam conducts a Common Written Examination (CWE) where students are judged on the basis of their abilities on different topics.
|Looking for tips to prepare Vocabulary for the Bank PO exams??
Solve more and more Free Online Mock Tests and strengthen your vocabulary.
Also refer to the links given below and ace the upcoming Bank Probationary Officer exam:
Vocabulary plays a vital role for the candidates as they get to solve different questions of English language and Reasoning Ability section which includes the verbal section.
More a person practises, the probability of him/her making errors in the English language section shall reduce. Candidates can get the Bank PO Previous year question papers the linked article and solve the papers for a better understanding of the exam pattern and types of questions asked.
To explore in detail about upcoming bank jobs check bank exams page.
Vocabulary based questions often turn out to be a nightmare for the candidates as they take it lightly when compared to other topics.
To be honest, memorizing words will not be beneficial in upcoming bank jobs as there are thousands of words in the urban dictionary and even these examiners do not expect the candidates to be an ocean of vocabulary.
Vocabulary plays a very important part of the Bank PO syllabus as the English language section is common for both Prelims and Mains phase of the examination. And to answer questions correctly for these verbal ability questions, the candidates must hold good command over Grammar and Vocabulary.
The links given below will help you work on your vocabulary for Bank PO exams and also to ace the English language section and increase your overall scores in the Online Computer-Based examination:
|Tenses Rules||Active and Passive Voice Rules||Preposition Rules|
|Conjunction Rules||Article Rules||Degree of Comparison Rules|
However, building a decent vocabulary helps in the long run not only in bank exams but also in other competitive exams too as this subject cannot be skipped in any way as it is a must.
The questions on antonyms and synonyms become a bit difficult to chose from the options given in the bank exam question paper where maximum aspirants tend to lose marks.
Ways to Prepare Vocabulary For Bank PO Exam
- To inculcate a habit of reading: One of the best ways to prepare vocabulary for bank PO exam is to make reading as an important part of one’s schedule. Being a voracious reader could help a candidate master the English Language section. Books, online blogs, magazines or journals that seem interesting to the candidate can be read. The new words need to be looked out for as the brain can retain these new words if it’s linked to a specific context.
- Solving more bank exam questions: Practicing efficiently from any mock paper or previous years’ bank exam question paper of PO exams will help the candidates to gain knowledge in vocabulary. It will also give an idea as to how to proceed with the bank exam preparation. Many times the meaning of a specific word remains unknown but the sentence justifies the meaning in that case. Hence, it is important to understand the context of the word in that sentence. you can refer IBPS Question Papers.
- Regular use of dictionary: It is difficult to carry a dictionary always so the effective way is to install a dictionary in one’s smartphone which is available in the app stores. The best part is the candidate can read it whenever or wherever he/she wants to. There is a list of words which can be fruitful for the upcoming bank jobs. Popular Dictionary Apps include:
- Word Web
- Quick Dictionary
- Vocabulary Builder
To know more about Verbal Ability section, check at the linked article.
- To step out of the box: The news, programs or newspapers in the local language will not help to work on vocabulary. Instead, reading English newspapers or channels in leisure will improve the vocabulary. The candidate will get to know the pronunciation of words along with phonetics which will not only help in vocabulary but also in improving the fluency.
- Usage of words that are already known: As the candidate learns more new words they should implement it in the correct place wherever required. This helps the candidate to have an idea of where and in which context can the word be used and instils those words in one’s mind.
Candidates willing to apply for other Government exams can also check General English for Competitive exams page for more information regarding Verbal ability and how to prepare for it.
Important Bank/Govt Information:
|SBI PO Syllabus||IBPS RRB Syllabus||IBPS Clerk Syllabus|
|SBI Clerk Syllabus||SSC JE Syllabus||SSC CPO Syllabus|
|IBPS PO Syllabus||SSC CHSL Syllabus||SSC CGL Syllabus|
Proper implementation of vocabulary skills:
- Word class: For example- Exhaust. The three verb in present and past tense-exhausts, exhausted and exhausting. There can be noun form(Exhaustion), adjective(exhaustible) as well as adverb(exhaustingly). Basically, the implementation of these forms in the context wherever it demands is known as a word class.
- Context: Understanding the context and figuring out its effect is very important. The negative or positive approach to the context needs to be clear first. The clue words which are contrast or cause are to be noted down.
- Root words: The suffixes in a word for word class gives an intense understanding of the meaning. For example: advantageous. Similar words like ludicrous, courageous, etc. are describing words and adjectives.
- Word games: Vocabulary games helps to master new words and encourages the candidate to use it in an effective way to implement the vocabulary skills for bank PO exam.
To explore Bank PO Preparation – Best Strategies For Bank PO Prelims & Mains Exam, check at the linked article.
Uses of Vocabulary in some common topics of Bank PO Exam:
- Spotting Errors: This reflects the vocabulary of a candidate. The mistakes are to be spotted out in each sentence with the implementation of the right word. Verbal reasoning section helps in scoring high marks.
- Reading comprehension: Synonyms/Antonyms asked in this section requires a strong vocabulary. 50% of questions asked in the comprehension are those where one needs to have a good vocabulary.
- Cloze test: Here in this section one needs to understand what exactly the words in the options mean. A strong vocabulary is needed to solve the Cloze test.
- Fill in the blanks: For fill in the blanks, the perfect word is to be chosen from the options which fit in the given sentence. So vocabulary is important in this case.
Given below is the table with the common topics which are a part of almost all bank Probationary Officer exams:
|Idioms and Phrases||One Word Substitution||Reading Comprehension|
|Cloze Test||List of Antonyms and Synonyms||List of Homophones and Homonyms|
These methods to ace the vocabulary skills will help candidates in their preparation for upcoming bank jobs. This needs constant efforts as it will not build up in a single day. Candidates need to work on it sincerely as there are no shortcuts for success in the Verbal Ability section. But you can always test your learning by taking free Online Quiz for bank exams.
To explore tips for bank exams preparation, check at the linked article.
For more details regarding bank exams, candidates can join BYJU’S Bank Exam Learning Program to stay updated and prepare for the bank PO exam.