Every bank exams conduct a common written examination where students are judged on the basis of their abilities on different topics. Vocabulary plays a vital role for the candidates as they get to solve different questions of English language and reasoning which includes the verbal section. Vocabulary based questions often turn out to be a nightmare for the candidates as they take it lightly when compared to other topics. Bank PO which includes both IBPS PO and SBI PO exam has set their level of difficulty in terms of verbal reasoning.
To be honest, memorizing words will not be beneficial as there are thousands of words in the urban dictionary and even these examiners do not expect the candidates to be an ocean of vocabulary. But building a decent vocabulary helps in the long run not only in bank exams but also in other competitive exams too as this subject cannot be skipped in any way it is a must. The questions on antonyms and synonyms become a bit difficult to chose from the options given in the paper where maximum aspirants tend to lose marks.
Common topics in the bank PO exam:
- Spotting Errors: This reflects the vocabulary of a candidate. The mistakes are to be spotted out in each sentence with the implementation of the right word. Verbal reasoning section helps in scoring high marks.
- Reading comprehension: Synonyms/Antonyms asked in this section requires a strong vocabulary. 50 percent of questions asked in the comprehension are these where one needs to have a good vocabulary.
- Cloze test: Here in this section one needs to understand what exactly the words in the options mean. A strong vocabulary is needed to solve cloze test.
- Fill in the blanks: For fill in the blanks, the perfect word is to be chosen from the options which fit in the given sentence. So vocabulary is important in this case.
Ways to prepare vocabulary:
- To make a habit of reading: One of the best ways to prepare vocabulary is to make reading as one’s schedule. Being a voracious reader could help the candidates master in this section. Books, online blogs or books anything that seems interesting to the candidate can be read. The new words need to be looked out for as the brain can retain these new words if it’s linked to a specific context.
- Solving more questions: Practicing efficiently from any mock paper or previous year question paper of bank PO exams will help the candidates to gain knowledge in vocabulary. It will also give an idea as to how to proceed with the preparation. Many times the meaning of a specific word remains unknown but the sentence justifies the meaning in that case the context needs to be understood.
- Regular use of dictionary: It is difficult to carry a dictionary always so the effective way is to install a dictionary in one’s smartphone which is available in the app stores. The candidate can read it whenever and wherever he/she wants to which is the best part. There is a list of words which can be fruitful for the examination. The popular Dictionary Apps:
- Word Web
- Quick Dictionary
- Vocabulary Builder
- To step out of the box: The news, programs or newspapers in the local language will not help to work on vocabulary. Instead, the English newspapers or channels in leisure will improve the vocabulary. The candidate will get to know the pronunciation of words along with phonetics which will not only help in vocabulary but also in improving the fluency.
- Usage of words that are already known: More the candidate learns new words they should implement it in correct place wherever required. This helps the candidate to have an idea of where in which context can the word be used and instills those words in one’s mind.
Proper implementation of vocabulary skills:
- Word class: for example- Exhaust. The three verb in present and past tense-exhausts, exhausted and exhausting. There can be noun form(Exhaustion), adjective(exhaustible) as well as adverb(exhaustingly). Basically, the implementation of these forms in the context wherever it demands is known as a word class.
- Context: Understanding of the context and figuring out its effect is very important. The negative or positive approach to the context needs to be clear first. The clue words which are contrast or cause are to be noted down.
- Root words: The suffixes in a word for word class gives an intense understanding of the meaning. For example: advantageous. Similar words like ludicrous, courageous, etc are describing words and adjectives.
- Word games: Vocabulary games helps to master new words and encourages the candidate to use it in an effective way to implement the vocabulary skills for bank PO exam.
These methods to ace the vocabulary skills will help to prepare for bank exam. This needs constant efforts it will not build up in a single day. The candidate needs to work on it sincerely as there are no shortcuts for success.
For any details regarding bank exams, visit Byju’s.