|Group||Lanthanides||Melting point||1016°C, 1861°F, 1289 K|
|Period||6||Boiling point||3074°C, 5565°F, 3347 K|
|Block||f||Density (g cm−3)||7.01|
|Atomic number||60||Relative atomic mass||144.242|
|State at 20°C||Solid||Key isotopes||142Nd|
|Electron configuration||[Xe] 4f46s2||CAS number||7440-00-8|
|ChemSpider ID||22376||ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database|
- Neodymium is an element with symbol Nd and atomic number 60 in the periodic table.
- This chemical element was first discovered by Austrian chemist naming Carl Auer von Welsbach in the year 1885.
- In the periodic table, Neodymium is the 60th element with a lustrous and a shiny yellow look.
- It is highly reactive in air and quickly tarnishes in the presence of air.
- Neodymium occurs naturally in its metallic form, and it is rarely found on earth at a concentration of about 18%.
- Neodymium exists in the form of compounds such as halides, nitrides, sulfides, carbides, hydroxides, etc.
- It has about five naturally occurring isotopes out of which the isotope 142 Nd is abundantly found in nature with a composition of about 27.2%. The other isotopes are all synthetic in nature.
- This metal is also commercially extracted from the other elements like bastnaesite and monazite by the process of ion exchange and the process of solvent extraction. It can also be made available by reducing anhydrous halides in the presence of calcium metal.
- The chemical Neodymium is used in many household pieces of equipment such as television sets, glasses, energy saving lamps such as incandescent lamps. Etc
- It is utilized in the manufacture of permanent magnets in industries along with boron and iron
- It is employed in the laser industry for the manufacturing crystals such as yttrium aluminum garnet
- In industries, it is used in cutting and welding of steel
- Neodymium is also used for the treatment of skin cancers.
- As it can absorb the glare in the flame, it is utilized for the purpose of coloring glasses.
- Due to its high specific heat capacity, this metal is used in the cryocoolers.
- The metal Neodymium is said to cause an eye irritation. It is a kind of irritation to the skin as well. It is considered to be slightly toxic in nature only when it is said to be soluble.
- Neodymium glasses are very hazardous as they can cause severe health issues like lung infections, liver disorders, etc when inhaled. It is also said to prevent blood clotting in humans.