|Atomic Mass||91.224 g.mol −1|
|Discovered by||Martin Klaproth in the year 1798|
Chemical Properties of Zirconium
|Group||4||Melting point||1854°C, 3369°F, 2127 K|
|Period||5||Boiling point||4406°C, 7963°F, 4679 K|
|Block||d||Density (g cm−3)||6.52|
|Atomic number||40||Relative atomic mass||91.224|
|State at 20°C||Solid||Key isotopes||90Zr, 92Zr, 94Zr|
|Electron configuration||[Kr]4d2 5s2||CAS number||7440-67-7|
|ChemSpider ID||22431||ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database|
What is Zirconium?
- Zirconium (Zr) is a chemical element with atomic number 40 and represented with the chemical symbol ‘Zr’ in the periodic table.
- It was discovered by Martin Klaproth in the year 1798. This is named after a mineral Zircon as it is the most important source of zirconium.
Physical properties of Zirconium
- The element is a gray-white, lustrous, strong transition metal that forms a variety of organometallic and inorganic compounds.
- It is highly resistant to corrosion and heat. The hardness of it is similar to that of copper and it is lighter than steel.
- Zirconium is available in about 30 mineral species and its major source is Zircon. More than 1.5 million tonnes of Zircon are mined each year, mainly in South Africa and Australia.
Applications and Effects of Zirconium
- The element is often used in high-temperature applications as it is highly resistant to heat.
- Its main uses are conferring a white, opaque appearance to ceramic metal, opacifier.
- It is used as an alloying agent in materials that are exposed to changing environment because of its corrosion resistant property.
- It has many other uses that include surgical instruments, photographic flashbulbs and in making glass for televisions.
- Space and aeronautic industries use Zirconium to manufacture high-temperature parts like blades, combustors, and vanes in jet engines.
Certain Health Facts About Zirconium
- Scientists haven’t found any biological use of Zirconium till today.
- It is observed that this element is a little toxic and estimated intake of a human being is 50 micrograms but not harmful for life.
- Zirconium 95 is one among the harmful compounds and responsible for many types of cancers.
Practise This Question