Chemical formula plays an important role in understanding different concepts of chemistry. Chemistry is all about learning chemical elements and compounds and how these things work together to form several chemical equations that are hard to understand. A chemical formula shows the symbols of the elements in the compound and the ratio of the elements to one another.
Chemical formulas can be quite simple sometimes as H (Hydrogen), or it can take a rather complicated form, such as CH3CH2OH (ethanol). Though these formulas are found to be very hard to learn and understand, very necessary to solve the reaction.
To score good marks in chemistry, students have to memorize the chemical formula by heart. These formulas will help you to crack your school exams, board exams as well as competitive exams also. Just by learning the basic rules and the names of elements, it’ll be easy for you to write the chemical formulas by your own.
Byju’s provides you a good collection of all the important chemical formulas at one place to help you look for any easy to difficult formula including these topics.
How to Write Chemical Formulas?
By knowing the names of the elements and some basic rules, we can name some compounds to give the chemical formula. But. if we know the name of the compound, we can easily write the chemical formula.
- Write symbols for every element in the compound.
- If you find more than one atom of a particular element in the formula unit, You can write the number of atoms soon after the symbol for the element.
Follow steps to Write a Chemical Reaction
- Find the symbol of the cation and the anion
- Find the charge of each symbol and place it in parenthesis above the symbol
- Balance out the total positive and negative charge on the cation and anion.
- Once the number of units of the cation and anion is determined those become the subscripts placed right after the symbol.