Private Member Bill - Indian Polity Notes

Private Member Bill is introduced in the Parliament by a private member (Not a minister). There are two kinds of bills that are introduced in parliament for the legislative procedure: Public and Private Bills. Public Bills are called government bill whereas private bills are called private members’ bill. This article will mention details about the topic, ‘Private Members’ Bill,’ important for the IAS Exam (GS-II Indian Polity.)

To complement your preparation for UPSC 2020, check the following links:

Private Member Bill-Indian Polity Notes:- Download PDF Here

What is a Private Members’ Bill in India?

A bill introduced by the Member of Parliament (MP) who is not a Minister, i.e., a non-government member is known as the Private Members’ bill. Members of Parliament (MPs) other than ministers are private members. Private Members can also move legislative proposal or bill which he/she thinks is appropriate to be present in the Statute Book. However, it must be noted that a private member can give a maximum of three notices for the introduction of Private Members Bills during a Session.

Including private members’ bill in the Indian Parliament, there are other various types of bills which a candidate must know. To know more about bills and how a bill is passed in Indian Parliament, you may check the linked article.

Difference between Private Members’ Bill & Public Bill in India

We all have understood that public bills are government bills and private bills are private members’ bill. However, there are a few differences between two which are mentioned in the table below:

Difference Private Members’ Bill Public Bill
Introduction In either house of parliament In either house of parliament
Introduced by Any member of the parliament other than a minister Minister
Chance of Approval in Parliament Lesser Chance Greater Chance
Rejection of the bill implies No effect on the government’s position Expression of want of parliamentary confidence in the government and may lead to its resignation.
Notice Period for Introduction One month’s notice Seven Days’ Notice

 

Drafting of the Bill Member who is introducing it will only draft it  Concerned Department in consultation with the law department

Facts about Private Members’ Bill:

  • Members of Parliament of both the ruling party as well as the opposition can introduce a Private Member Bill.
  • The Private Member bill, in order to become an act, must be passed in both the houses.
  • Once passed in both houses, Presidential assent is also mandatory for the bill to become an Act.
  • Such Bills can be introduced and discussed only on Fridays.
  • Number of private member bills has been capped to 3 per session of Parliament.

President’s role in a Private Member Bill

According to the preset traditions, the President of India can use his powers of absolute veto and can easily discard a private members’ bill.

IAS aspirants preparing for UPSC 2020, may check the linked article to complement their Polity preparation with the upcoming exam’s patter, syllabus and more.

List of Private Members’ Bills

Since 1952, only 14 private member’s bills have become laws. Out of the 300 odd private members bills that were introduced in the 14th Lok Sabha, only about 4% were discussed and the rest 96% lapsed without any debate. The list of private members’ bills that have been passed in Indian Parliament is given in the table below:

S.No Private Members’ Bill Private Member House
1 The Muslim Wakf’s Bill 1952 Syed Mohammed Ahmed Kasmi Lok Sabha
2 The Indian Registration (Amendment) Bill 1955 SC Samanta Lok Sabha
3 The Parliamentar Proceedings (Protection of Publication) Bill 1956 Feroze Gandhi Lok Sabha
4 The Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Bill 1953 Raghunath Singh Lok Sabha
5 The Women’s & Children’s Institution (Licensing) Bill 1954 Kamledu Mati Shah Lok Sabha
6 The Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Bill 1957 Subhadra Joshi Lok Sabha
7 The Salaries & Allowances of MPs (Amendment) Bill 1964 Raghunath Singh Lok Sabha
8 The Hindu Marriage (Amendment) Bill 1963 Diwan Chand Sharma Lok Sabha
9 Supreme Court (Enlargement of Criminal Appellate Jurisdiction) Bill 1968 Anand Narian Mullah Lok Sabha
10 The Ancient and Historical Monuments & Archeological Sites and Remains (Declaration of National Importance) Bill 1954 Dr Raghubir Singh Rajya Sabha
11 The Hindu Marriage (Amendment) Bill 1956 Dr Seeta Parmanand Rajya Sabha
12 The Orphanages & Other Charitable Homes (Supervision & Control) Bill 1960 Kailashh Bihari Lal Rajya Sabha
13 Marine Insurance Bill 1959 MP Bhargava Rajya Sabha
14 Indian Penal Code (Amendment) Bill Diwan Chaman Lall Rajya Sabha

Private Member Bill-Indian Polity Notes:- Download PDF Here

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *