Punjabi Literature is one of the optional subjects offered by the UPSC for candidates in the IAS mains exam. The number of students who take literature subjects as optionals is comparatively less, nevertheless it is on the rise owing to a lot of factors like, limited syllabus and their scoring capacity. This article talks about the strategy and study material for Punjabi literature optional for UPSC exam.
Pros of taking Punjabi Literature optional:
- Syllabus is more or less static and limited.
- It is highly recommended for people good in the language.
Cons of taking Punjabi Literature optional:
- This is advised only for candidates with a background in this language in their graduation levels or for those who are well-versed in it.
- Compared to other subjects like history or public administration, there is a dearth of study material for this optional.
Strategy and study material for Punjabi Literature optional:
- Read a good Punjabi language newspaper.
- Books for 1st, 2nd and 3rd parts of section A:
- Punjabi Bhasha Da Janam Te Vikas – Dr. Prem Prakash Singh
- Sidhantak Bhasha Vigyan – Dr. Prem Prakash Singh
- Punjabi Bhasha Da Viakaran: Part 1, 2 and 3 – Joginder Singh Pouar, Baldev Singh Cheema, Sukhwinder Singh Sanga and Ved Agnihotri
- Panchayak Bhasha Vigyaan – Ved Agnihotri
- Books for folk literature:
- Punjab di lok dhara – Sohinder Singh Bedi
- Books for lyrics section:
- Aadhunik Prageet Shilap – Dr. Thakar Dutt Joshi
- Books for essay section:
- Principal Teja Singh Di Rachna – Bikram Singh Ghuman
- Teja Singh Di Vartak Kala – Diwan Singh, Bikram Singh Ghuman
- Professor Puran Singh Di Gad Shelli – Dr. Gurdev Singh
- Books for questions from Gurbaksh Singh:
- Punjabi Nibandh (Saroop, Sidant te vikas) – Balbir Singh Duggal.
- Books on literary criticism:
- Punjabi Aalochana (Sidhant Te Vihar) – Harbhajan Singh Bhatia
- Read the basic text book of Nanak Singh, Gurbaksh singh, Balraj Sahni and Gargi for Paper II.
- Sheikh Farid – steek of Sheikh Farid Shalokas by Bhai Sahib Singh
- Guru Nanak – steek of Jap ji Sahib, Asa di var and Barahmah by Bhai Sahib Singh
- Bulleh Shah Kafian – Bulleh Shah Kalaam edited by Dr. Gurdev Singh
Kafian Bulleh Shah by T. R. Shingaari
- Waris Heer – Heer Waris by Jeet Singh Sheetal
- Shah Muhammad – Jangnama Singh ate Firangian – War Shah Muhammad edited by Dr. Pritam Saini
- Nanak Singh – Sahit Samachar: Nanak Singh Ank
- Balraj Sahni – Jeewan te rachna by Amrit Lal Pal
- Balwant Gargi – Sultan Razia- Ik Mulakan by Dr. Pritam Saini
- Madh Kaal Di Chonvi Kavita – Pritam Singh
- Sur Sanvedna – Dr. Satinder Singh
- Punjabi Bhasha diyan navintam parvirtiyaan te samasyavaan – Dr. Prem Prakash Singh
- Khoj Patrika: Aadunik Kav Ank
- Punjabi Sahit Da Itihaas – Dharampal Singal
The UPSC released their notifications for civil services exam for 2017 on February 22nd. Visit BYJU’S Website for the latest news on the notifications page.