Desertification is a topic in the Geography section of the UPSC syllabus. Geography is a part of General Studies Paper 1 of the IAS syllabus. It is an important topic for both the prelims and the mains exams. This article talks about desertification.
Desertification is the degradation process by which a fertile land changes itself into a desert by losing its flora and fauna, this can be caused by drought, deforestation, climate change, human activities or improper agriculture. Desertification is a process of degradation of the land. It occurs because of man-made activities and climate change. Desertification takes place when a particular type of biome converts into a desert biome.
- Farming Practices
- Urbanization and other types of land development
- Climate Change
- Stripping the land of resources
- Natural Disasters
- Farming becomes difficult or even impossible in the area
- Flooding chances are more
- Hunger – because of no farming
- Poor quality of water
- Poverty as a result of the above
Consider the following statements:
- Desertification makes a land fertile.
- Desertification is always a natural process.
Which of the following statements are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- None of the above
|Loss of Biodiversity||Climate Change|
|Causes of the Loss of Biodiversity||Biological Weathering|