The UPSC releases the Detailed Application Form (DAF) before the IAS Mains exam every year. Candidates who have cleared IAS Prelims should fill UPSC DAF online before the due date and also pay the exam fees of Rs.200. The UPSC notification for Mains is released after the declaration of the Prelims result.
Along with the filled DAF, there are many documents that have to be uploaded on the official website. This article gives you the complete list of all documents to be uploaded along with the UPSC 2020 DAF. Prior to 2016, the DAF and documents had to be sent by post to the commission along with filling out the form online. After 2016, the commission has done away with the requirement for hard copies.
To check the UPSC 2020 calendar, refer to the linked article.
UPSC DAF form PDF Guidelines:- Download PDF Here
Documents Required for Mains 2020
- Proof of Age: You have to upload your matriculation or secondary school leaving certificate for the date of birth as proof of age. No other certificates like horoscopes, Municipal Corporation birth records, affidavits or service records are accepted by the UPSC.
- Certificate of Educational Qualification: You should upload the certificate that shows you are qualified to take the civil services, i.e., your degree certificate awarded by the university or an equivalent qualification as recognised by the UPSC.
- Certificate Supporting OBC/SC/ST Status (if applicable): You should upload the relevant certificate issued by the District Officer/Sub-divisional Officer/any other officer as authorised by the government to issue such certificates of the district in which your parents reside. In case of candidates with parents deceased, the district in which he/she normally resides will be applicable. This certificate should contain the same spelling of the caste name as published by the Central Government in their notifications.
- Certificate Supporting Age Relaxation Claim (if applicable): This will include the certificates for OBC/SC/ST status and/or disability certificate and/or J&K domicile and/or defence personnel.
- Disability Certificate (if applicable): The disability certificate for physically handicapped candidates must be issued by a Medical Board constituted by the Central or State government.
- Certificate for Proof of Hailing from Arunachal Pradesh/Manipur/Nagaland/Meghalaya/Sikkim/Mizoram (if applicable): This is for such candidates to claim exemption from the compulsory Indian language paper in the mains exam. The competent authority to provide this certificate is the same as for OBC/SC/ST certificates.
- Undertaking for Candidates in Government Service (if applicable): You should upload an undertaking stating that you have written to your Head of the Office/Department intimating him/her about your taking the UPSC exam.
- Documents Supporting Non-Creamy Layer OBC Status (if applicable): In such case, you must upload proof in support of service/landholding/status/income from different sources/property held by your parents in support of non-creamy layer OBC claim.
- J&K Domicile (if applicable): You have to upload a certificate from the District Magistrate (or any other competent person authorised by the J&K government) under whose jurisdiction you had resided stating that you had been domiciled in the state between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1989.
- Certificate Issued for Disabled While in Defence Service (if applicable): You should upload a certificate from the Director-General Resettlement, Ministry of Defence stating that you were disabled while in service during any internal or external hostilities and were discharged from duty on account of it.
- EWS Certificate – Check EWS Certificate Criteria in the linked article.
Check UPSC Eligibility Criteria in the linked article.
The table below gives a ready reckoner for filling the UPSC online Detailed Application form 2020:
|Matriculation Certificate||Age verification|
|Degree Certificate/Final year appearing certificate||Verification of Educational Qualification|
|Domicile Certificate||For verification of residency in notified areas such as Arunachal Pradesh, J&K etc.|
|Caste Certificate Along With Income/Property Proof||To verify SC/ST, non-creamy layer OBC status and supporting age relaxation claims|
|Disability Certificate||To verify disability status and age relaxation claims|
|Undertaking(in case of Government Servants)||To verify availability of candidate for joining service on the specified date|
The following rules should be kept in mind while uploading documents online:
- The documents should be scanned with good clarity and have at least 200dpi(dots per inch) if uploaded in greyscale
- The documents should be consolidated into a single PDF format document.
- The uploaded PDF should be unlocked and no password should be set for opening the document.
IAS candidates should fill the DAF carefully and make sure that they have all the supporting documents handy. Documents should ideally be consolidated just after clearing Prelims based on the UPSC DAF guidelines.
UPSC DAF form PDF Guidelines:- Download PDF Here
To read more about UPSC, visit: