The civil services is one of the most prestigious and elite services in the country. Every year lakhs of youngsters across the country take up this exam hoping to make it as IAS/IPS/IFS officers. This profession gives you a unique opportunity to take an active part in the nation-building process and enhance the quality of people’s lives. But the journey is not an easy one. It is fraught with difficulties. But with a dedicated and planned approach your IAS dream can come true. The UPSC recently released their 2017 UPSC notification which contains all the information you need to have a go at the UPSC exam. This article gives you the five W’s of the IAS exam – the what, where, when, who and why…
WHAT is the civil services exam?
ALL-INDIA CIVIL SERVICES
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Police Service (IPS)
GROUP ‘A’ CIVIL SERVICES
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IAAS)
- Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS)
- Indian Corporate Law Service (ICLS)
- Indian Defence Accounts Service (IDAS)
- Indian Defence Estates Service (IDES)
- Indian Information Service (IIS)
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (IOFS)
- Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service (IP&TAFS) / The Indian Communication Finance Services (ICFS)
- Indian Postal Service (IPoS)
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS)
- Indian Trade Service (ITS)
- Railway Protection Force (RPF)
- Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS)
- Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS)
- Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS)
GROUP ‘B’ CIVIL SERVICES
- Pondicherry Civil Service
- Pondicherry Police Service
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service
WHEN is the civil services exam conducted?
The dates of the UPSC exam are given below:
IAS prelims exam: 18th June 2017
IAS mains exam starts on 28th October 2017
WHERE would the civil services exam be conducted?
The IAS Prelims 2017 will be held across 72 centres in India. See UPSC prelims exam centres.
The IAS mains exam 2017 will be held across 24 centres in India. Check out the mains exam centres.
WHY would you take the civil services exam?
If you clear the civil services exam, you stand a chance to enter into any of the above-mentioned services. A civil servant enjoys a high stature in our society and also gets a good pay package with a lot of perks and facilities that a private job doesn’t offer. You will also enjoy legitimate power and the authority that comes with it. But the most important reason to become a civil servant or a diplomat (if you get the Foreign Service) is that you get a chance to become a part of the system that runs the nation. You can use your talents and expertise to change things for the better.
WHO should take the civil services?
The last ‘W’ – Who. The answer to this ‘W’ is in your hands. It could be ‘You’ or anyone else. If you think you have it in you, go for the UPSC civil services exam. If you taste success in this exam, your life will change for good. We at BYJU’S give you answers to all the other ‘Ws’ but the answer to the ‘Who’ question lies solely with you.
“Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” – Carol Burnett
Visit BYJU’S Website for strategy and articles on free IAS prep and all the latest on UPSC IAS exam.