A nucleosome is the repeating unit in the chromatin thread. It is made up of a core of histone octamers wrapped around by a DNA double helix. Histone proteins are basic proteins. Histone octamer has 2 molecules each of H2A, H2B, H3 and H4 histone proteins. The H1 histone protein is not a part of the nucleosome and connects the two nucleosomes along with the linker DNA.
- What Are the Parts of Chromosomes?
- What Is the Smallest Unit of Chromosome?
- Can a Chromosome Have One Chromatid?
- Who Discovered the Chromosome?
- How Are Chromosomes and Chromatin Related?
Stay tuned to BYJU’S to learn similar questions and important points related to chromosomes.