A chemical process in which a substance reacts with oxygen to give off heat is called _________.
(1) Combustion is a chemical process in which a substance reacts rapidly with oxygen and gives off heat.
(2) The original substance is called the fuel, and the source of oxygen is called the oxidizer.
(3) Three things are required in proper combination before ignition and combustion can take place —heat, oxygen, and fuel.
(4) When substances react spontaneously with oxygen giving off heat and light, the heat released fuels the process further making the reaction violent and rapid.
(5) If nothing is done to control this process, it takes the shape of a fire.
Some examples are:
(1) Burning of Wax candle.
(2) Combustion of petrol in a car’s engine.
(3) Burning of natural gas in a bunsen burner.
Therefore, a chemical process in which a substance reacts with oxygen to give off heat is called combustion.