A couple produces
Purely rotational motion
Explanation for the correct option
D: Purely rotational motion
3. Since the two forces acting on the body are equal and opposite in direction, therefore the net force will be equal to zero.
4. Since the net force acting on the body is zero, therefore the body will be in “translatory equilibrium”.
5. There will be no linear motion of the body due to the force couple because the body is in “translatory equilibrium”.
6. Since the forces constituting the force couple are non-collinear, therefore the body experiencing a force couple will not be in “rotational equilibrium”.
7. Since, the body is not in rotational equilibrium, therefore the body experiences a rotational motion due to the force couple.
8. A steering wheel shown below does not show any linear motion but shows rotational motion on the application of the force couple.
Hence, option (D) is correct.