Explain the functions of the following organs in the human body. [5 MARKS]
3. Small intestine
Functions: 1 Mark each
1. The tongue is the part that mixes saliva with the food while chewing and helps in swallowing food. It has taste buds on its surface which help in detection of taste.
2. The gallbladder is the organ which stores bile. Bile is required for the breakdown of fats.
3. The small intestine is the longest part of the alimentary canal, most of the digestion and absorption of food takes place here.
4. Villi present in the small intestine increase the overall surface area for absorption.
5. Teeth help in chewing the food and breaking it down mechanically into small pieces.