Give two significance of mitosis.
Mitosis, a process of cell duplication, or reproduction, during which one cell gives rise to two genetically identical daughter cells.
The significance of Mitosis is:-
1. It is an equational division through which identical daughter cells are produced having the same amount and type of genetic constitution as that of the parent cell.
2. It is responsible for the growth and development of multi-cellular organisms from a single-celled zygote.
3. The number of chromosomes remains the same in all the cells produced by this division. Thus, the daughter cells retain the same characters as those of the parent cell.
4. It helps the cell in maintaining proper size.
5. Mitosis helps in restoring wear and tear in body tissues, replacement of damaged or lost parts, healing of wounds, and regeneration of detached parts (as in the tail of lizards).
6. It is a method of multiplication in unicellular organisms.
7. If mitosis remains unchecked, it may result in uncontrolled growth of cells leading to cancer or tumor.