CameraIcon
CameraIcon
SearchIcon
MyQuestionIcon


Question

Of the total amount of energy that passes from one trophic level to another in a food chain, about 10% is ___.


Your Answer
A
reradiated as heat
Your Answer
B
burnt in respiration
Correct Answer
C
stored in the body tissue
Your Answer
D
transpired

Solution

The correct option is C stored in the body tissue
According to the 10% rule, only 10% of energy is transferred from one level to the next level of food chain, and in the remaining 90% some part is used up metabolically for survival and the rest is lost as body heat. This 10% that is transferred to the next trophic level is basically what is stored in the body tissue as food, and utilized as food by organisms in the higher trophic level.

flag
 Suggest corrections
thumbs-up
 
0 Upvotes


Similar questions
View More



footer-image