CameraIcon
CameraIcon
SearchIcon
MyQuestionIcon
MyQuestionIcon
1
You visited us 1 times! Enjoying our articles? Unlock Full Access!
Question

Why is there no educational qualification for being an MLA or an MP?

Open in App
Solution

The literacy rate in India is still 74% of the population. Even if the law is changed to qualify only literate persons (knows to read and write one language), to stand in elections, you will be leaving out 26% of the population. Only 8.15% of Indian adults are graduates. So if you amend the law to only qualify graduates to stand in elections you will miss out 92% of the population. Only when the literacy rate and college graduation rates increase to very high levels (at least 90% of population) you can make minimum educational qualifications for standing in elections.

flag
Suggest Corrections
thumbs-up
3
Join BYJU'S Learning Program
similar_icon
Related Videos
thumbnail
lock
Caste Inequality in India
CIVICS
Watch in App
Join BYJU'S Learning Program
CrossIcon