Write a short note on fertilization in plants. [5 MARKS]
Each point: 1 Mark
1. After pollination, pollen grains from the stamen starts germinating on the stigma to give rise to pollen tubes.
2. The pollen tube grows through style to reach the ovule in the ovary.
3. As it reaches the ovule, the tip of the tube opens and releases the male gametes to fertilize the egg cell.
4. The fusion of the male and the female gamete results in the formation of zygote. The zygote develops into an embryo.
5. Fertilized ovary becomes a fruit and ovules develop into seeds.