A catalyst does not affect the energy of reactants, the energy of products and enthalpy change of a reaction.
Characteristics of catalyst
Catalysis is the backbone of many industrial processes, which use chemical reactions to turn raw materials into useful products. Catalysts are integral in making plastics and many other manufactured items.
- The catalyst remains unchanged (in mass and chemical composition) in the reaction (Activity of catalyst.)
- The catalyst does not change the equilibrium constant. But the equilibrium approaches earlier.
- The catalyst can not make an impossible reaction occur and does not initiate a reaction.
- The catalyst exhibits maximum activity at a particular temperature which is known as optimum temperature.
- The catalyst is specific in nature.