A metal oxide contains 20% oxygen by weight. find the equivalent weight

An equivalent weight of a solution is defined as the molecular weight of the solute divided by the valence of the solute. Equivalent weight is used for predicting the mass of a substance that reacts with one atom of hydrogen in an acid-base analysis like in titration. Equivalent weight is used in the calculation of normality.

Equivalent Weight
Equivalent weight = molecular weight / X

Where,  X represents the valency factor.

Solution

We have to determine the equivalent weight if a metal oxide contains 20% oxygen by weight

equivalent wt. of metal=mass of metal/mass of oxygen×equivalent weight of oxygen

Equivalent weight is that which combines with 8 parts by weight of oxygen.

If 20% mass is of oxygen and the remaining 80% mass is contributed by metal,

Then the equivalent weight of metal = (80/20)*8

= 32

Further Reading

  1. What is the equivalent weight of H3PO4 in the reaction: Ca(OH)2 + H3PO4: CaHPO4 + 2H2O
  2. Number Of Fe Atoms In 100 G Haemoglobin If It Contains 0.33% Fe. (Atomic Mass Of Fe=56).

 

Was this answer helpful?

 
   

4.5 (3)

(8)
(2)

Choose An Option That Best Describes Your Problem

Thank you. Your Feedback will Help us Serve you better.
close
close

DOWNLOAD

App Now

Ask
Question