The carbon atom compound which follows the general formula of alkanes C2H6 will be Ethane.
- Ethane is a hydrocarbon molecule, an odourless gas at room temperature.
- Two carbon atoms, each carrying four valence electrons, come together to share a pair of electrons in ethane.
- It is used in many industries and more widely used in ethylene production.
- There is significantly less difference in the electronegativities of Hydrogen and Carbon forming bonds in this structure.
- For ethane, carbon forms a double bond with the other carbon, and each carbon has three hydrogen atoms attached to it.
- It is the second most abundant natural gas component.