(c) leaves behind many undesirable substances.
Any substance which upon combustion produces a usable amount of energy is known as fuel. For example, fossil fuels, biogas, nuclear energy etc.
Characteristics of an Ideal fuel
- It should be readily available.
- It should be inexpensive.
- It should burn easily in air at a judicious rate.
- It should liberate large amount of heat.
- It should leave behind any undesirable residues.
- It should be easy enough to store, transport, and handle.
- It should have high calorific value.
- It should have ignition temperature above the room temperature.
- It should produce less hazardous products on burning.