Manure adds nutrients to the soil without affecting its fertility. Fertilizers are chemicals which lower the fertility of the soil if used regularly.
Advantages of manure
- It increases the water-holding capacity of the soil.
- It makes the soil porous and facilitates the exchange of gases.
- The texture of the soil improves.
- The number of microbes increases in the soil.
Advantages of fertilizers
- They are quick in providing plant nutrients and restoring soil fertility.
- They are portable and easy to transport.
- Plants easily absorb fertilizers.
- Fertilizers improve and increase the productivity of many crops such as wheat, maize, and rice.